Davao City projects visitor arrival to hit 2.3 million

Posted on

DAVAO CITY–The City Tourism Office was optimistic it would hit the tourist arrivals this year at 2.3 million, or seven percent higher last year.

City Tourism Office Chief Generose Tecson disclosed this during the Bizforum at SM City Davao on Tuesday.

“I am happy to report that for the first five months this year our arrivals already accounted to 975,000 for both domestic and foreign tourists,” Tecson said.

She said the number from January to May was 21 percent higher compared to the same period last year with 806,000 arrivals. Tecson attributed the increase to conventions and events under MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events) plus the holding of the Ironman 70.3 Davao last March this year.

“Our hosting of the Ironman also helped a lot where there were also many international participants who joined the event,” she said.

Davao’s hosting of Ironman was rated by the participants at 92 percent, considered by organizer Sunrise Events as unprecedented.

The assessment, Tecson said, was higher than what Cebu’s rating at 88 percent.

“I think many would want to hold their events here because they noticed that it is cheaper to hold conventions in Davao City and besides we have organizers capable of handling the events,” she said.

Tecson also attributed the continuing increase in tourists arrivals to the responsive leadership of Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, especially on security concerns.

“Our security forces are not reactive plus we have everything in place and that the government and the private sectors are very much aware of what is going on here,” she added.

Tecson also reported there are already big conventions lined up for next year and the hosting again of Ironman 2019. -Digna D. Banzon/PNA

Be informed
  • 42
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    42
    Shares
  • 42
  •  
  •  
  •