Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque during the Monday press briefing stressed “We have local autonomy, so the peace talks can proceed on a local level if the local government units should want or desire to proceed.”
Last week, President Rodrigo Duterte officially declared the termination of the national government’s talks with the rebel groups by issuing Proclamation No. 360, but Roque said local can still hold talks at their level..
Among the local officials who showed intent to continue locally initiated talks with the rebels is Davao Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.
Duterte-Carpio still wants to to continue the peace talks with the communist group locally.
Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte felt betrayed by the CPP-NPA-NDF, as he had close relations with them in Davao.
Duterte terminated the talks with the rebels after the November 9 incident in Talakag, Bukidnon when a 4-month old baby was killed during an ambush by the NPA rebels.-Editha Z. Caduaya/Newsline.ph