P100 collection for Marawi siege movie stirs controversy

Posted on

DAVAO CITY (June 26) — Parents  from different state colleges and universities in Zamboanga City  and Basilan province  are up in arms against the P100 collection to view  the  Marawi Siege movie.

Parents from various states colleges and universities called RMN-Zamboanga for clarification and to complain.

The film “Ang Misyon: A Marawi Siege Story,”  is directed by Cesar Soriano.  The movie is produced by GreatCzar Media Productions.

Soriano is a “blocktime” program host of Inquirer Radio.

In enticing schools to allow the film showing, Soriano uses the endorsement from Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Acting Commissioner  Prospero de Vera and the Department of Education.

Earlier on, Sharon Dayoc,  of the filmmakers association of the Philippines,  stated that they did not sanction  the showing of the movie  citing standards in the film industry.

Soriano reportedly offered a percentage share among school officials, while  some part of  the proceeds  will be given to the victims of Marawi siege.

The De Vera memorandum.

Reports from Basilan National High School (not Basilan State Colleges) revealed,  teachers  made it mandatory for students  to  buy the ticket  and viewing is compulsory. Yesterday,  the security guard did not allow entry of students without the tickets.

A parent,  who have five students in Basilan State Colleges complained, she was forced to  borrow money for her students to watch the movie, the teacher reportedly offered 20 percent performance bonus for  students who buy the tickets.

Assistant Secretary Castro of Task Force Bangon Marawi told RMN-Zamboanga “Walang coordination sa akin, I just don’t know sa iba, but as far as TFBM is concerned wala.”

Dr. Marivel Nazario, president of Zamboanga State Colleges of Marine Science and Technology,  in an interview with RMN,  said they got a copy of the de Vera memorandum, but it states the viewing was voluntary.

Nazario said they  incorporated the film showing as one of the activities during the schools founding anniversary tomorrow,  “To raise the awareness of the students about radicalization.”

For her part, Dr. Milabel Ho, president of Western Mindanao State University during the interview said she received the memorandum,  but she has yet to decide about the proposal “Pero dapat voluntary talaga yan.”

Reports received by Newsline.ph revealed,  Soriano’s team  will proceed to Dipolog on July 1, but DepEd official has yet to decide on his proposal.

The de Vera memorandum dated June 21, 2018 states “This activity is open to all interested participants from Higher Educational Institutions.”

“Participation of officials, employees and students from private higher  education institutions shall be VOLUNTARY, officials and employees of State and Local Universities and Colleges (SUCs and LUCs) who will participate in this activity should obtain prior order from the President/Head of their respective institutions and are hereby reminded to observe proper use of government  funds in accordance with the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) National Budget Circular (NBC) No. 563 of 2016.” it added.

Assistant Secretary Atty. Revsee A. Escobedo of the Department of Education, in a memorandum to all superintendents in Region X-Northern Mindanao, dated June 14 stated Soriano and his team will conduct series of interviews in selected public schools particularly in Cagayan de Oro City, Ozamiz City, Iligan City, Gingoog, Misamis Oriental, Valencia City and Bukidnon to gather inspiring stories and narratives in the lives and work of our public school teachers.”

The Escobedo Memorandum.

The memorandum is silent about the film showing.

In an interview with RMN-Zamboanga, de Vera admitted he signed the endorsement “I signed it and I issued the memo but recommendation pa rin naman yon, discretion ng mga pamantasan ng mga paaralan kung ipanood sa mga estudyante. I respect their freedom in teaching.”

Though,  the memorandum states it is voluntary, some school authorities made it mandatory, which runs contrary to the memorandum.

Some teachers said, it is not Soriano’s fault if he offered his movie because he has the endorsement but school officials should not make it mandatory.

Complaining parents  do not want to be identified for fear of retaliation.

There are unconfirmed reports,  that tickets given to the schools were considered “good as sold.’

Some parents theorized, the school officials who opted to make the film viewing mandatory could have been attracted by the  promised percentage share.-Editha Z. Caduaya/NewsLine.ph

Be informed
  • 87
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    87
    Shares
  • 87
  •  
  •  
  •