Baste lauds Dabawenyos’ ‘bayanihan’ spirit

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY — After the onslaught of massive flooding last week, acting Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte lauded Dabawenyos for proving that the spirit of “bayanihan” is still alive especially in times of disaster.

In a statement on Monday, the young Duterte thanked Dabawenyos for helping each other and showing their readiness to help during last week’s flooding that hit many areas in the city.

Baste said the spirit of Kadayawan was felt during the calamity as everyone showed their compassion towards their fellow Dabawenyos who were affected by the calamity.

“Our values were there, we cooperated, we almost lose our patience and everything became manageable. All the people are there to help, we are really united,” he added.

“What I want to tell you is there will always be good times and bad times and the values that we learned, we carried that with us — in good times and in bad times, in our everyday lives as we exist as Dabawenyos in this city we called Davao,” he said.

The Talomo River overflowed and inundated several barangays last Wednesday evening, sending at least 3,000 families to the streets and temporary shelters.

The city government declared a state of calamity in four barangays the following day after the flooding affected 17,795 individuals or 3,559 families.

The city government was quick to respond to the immediate needs of the displaced families. The city council also held an emergency session to approve the PHP50-million assistance for the calamity victims. (PNA)

spot_img

Related articles

Marcos Leads ₱500-Million Turnover for Jesse M. Robredo Coliseum Renovation in Naga City

MANILA (February 22) – President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Saturday led the turnover of about ₱500 million...

1.6 Million Patients Benefit from Marcos Administration’s Zero Balance Billing Program

MANILA (February 22) – The Department of Health (DOH) reported on Saturday that at least 1.6 million patients...

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...