• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • August 31, 2025

Eastmincom Commander Felimon Santos is next AFP Chief

January 2, 2020 by NewsLine Philippines

DAVAO CITY — Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lieutenant General Felimon Santos is the new head of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

Santos serves Eastmincom since January 2019, He is in charge of battling communist rebels in the Davao, Soccsksargen, and Caraga regions.

Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Thursday confirmed the appointment of Santos Jr., as the successor of Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief-of-staff, Gen. Noel S. Clement who will formally step down from his post this coming Saturday.

Santos is a veteran intelligence officer known for his skills in gathering top information.

Lorenzana made the confirmation after formally receiving a letter from Malacañan Palace, which was signed by President Rodrigo R. Duterte, regarding the appointment of Santos as the next AFP chief.

Clement, a member of Philippine Military Academy Class of 1985, will be retiring from the military after reaching the mandatory retirement age of 56 on January 5. He was appointed AFP chief last Sept. 24 replacing his classmate Gen. Benjamin Madrigal Jr., who retired from the service after his 56th birthday.

Santos, a member of PMA Class 1986, commanded the Nueva Ecija-based 7th Infantry Division before his appointment as Eastern Mindanao Command head in January of last year.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte appointed Santos on the basis of factors such as competence, honesty, and administrative ability.

“Every time a government official is appointed by the President, ang palagi niya lang sinasabi (what he always says is) is all I’m asking is competence and honesty in your work,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing.

Duterte has repeatedly said he would fire any government official involved in even a “whiff” of corruption.

Santos in an interview with reporters said he will do his best to realize the vision of President Duterte to end insurgency during his incumbency as AFP Chief.-

He thanked Duterte for his appointment and said the military under his command would “continue to support all the priority programs regarding peace and security.”

He vowed to lead the AFP in ending the communist insurgency, neutralizing terror groups that have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (ISIS) terror network, and would support the police and anti-drug agencies in the campaign against illegal narcotics.

Filed Under: Top Stories

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
3:22 am, Aug 31, 2025
temperature icon 25°C
broken clouds
Humidity: 100 %
Wind: 2 mph
Clouds: 75%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DOLE extends internship opportunities to junior HS students

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Maguindanao del Sur drug den owner dead, three cohorts nabbed

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA, LGU Kiblawan launch ‘Gulayan sa Bayan’ project in Davao del Sur

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

4.5K solo parents get 2nd quarter subsidy in Davao City

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved