Freedom is curtailed in Dumaguete Freedom Park -Duterte

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY —-Despite a series of attempts to stop the Peace Rally that Hugpong ng Maisug organized, the peaceful assembly was held in Dumaguete City, Negros Occidental on Tuesday night unfortunately according to former president Rodrigo Duterte the Freedom Park in the said city is no longer a place for freedom-loving citizens.

Duterte said the government had issued the permit to rally but on the day of their arrival “They closed Freedom Park, If they wanted to use the park for them only, why call it Freedom Park?”

The Prayer Rally was held at Quezon Park in DUmaguete.

Duterte invoked Article 3 Section 3 of the Bill of Rights saying the right to peaceful assembly and expression is enshrined in the Constitution.

The Constitution guarantees that all Filipinos have the right to express their beliefs and convictions and to participate in activities in line with these beliefs. The Constitution guarantees our freedom of thought, expression, and participation.

In his short message, Duterte said “What is ironic incongruous nito, nakakatawa, nakakagalit nadaanan ko ang freedom park, yon ang gusto namin, humingi kami ng permit, binigyan kami noon at ng dumating kami binawi ang permit ant sinirahan pa at hindi pala ipagamit.”

(What is ironic and incongruous about this, it’s funny, it makes me angry when I pass by Freedom Park, that’s what we wanted, we asked for a permit, it was given to us then and when we arrived, the permit was revoked and it was still inhabited and not allowed to be used.)

The Bill of Rights, Duterte said specifically stipulates that citizens have the right to express themselves.

Freedom Parks in the Philippines are public places designated for political gatherings, rallies, and demonstrations even without the need for prior permission from government authorities.

In 1985, the Philippine Government enacted Batas Pambansa Bilang 880 also known as the Public Assembly Act of 1985 which requires all cities and municipalities to have freedom parks.

Unfortunately, Duterte’s group was not allowed to use it in Dumaguete.

Despite the hitches, the group was able to hold pocket rallies.

Last week, Duterte’s rally in Bustos Bulacan was also canceled after the government revoked the permit it earlier issued to the organizer.

Though Duterte did not name names, he said an official from Malacañang called the local government units to revoke the permit.

Dumaguete Mayor Felipe Remollo in an interview with Philippine Daily Inquirer said when he informed the city police that Duterte and other VIPs were attending the rally “I cannot take the security concerns of no less than the former president Rodrigo Duterte and other VIPs and the general public lightly. At the end of the day, it would still be my responsibility for any security lapses.

Some political quarters allied to the administration said the Maisug rally is not a prayer rally but a political event.

Editha Z. Caduaya
Editha Z. Caduayahttps://newsline.ph
Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao. The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.
spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...