Remulla: Taal lake search for missing “sabungeros” set to start

Date:

Share post:

MANILA (July 8) — Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla said Monday that the search for the remains of the missing “sabungeros” (cockfight enthusiasts) allegedly dumped in Taal Lake could begin within the week.

Speaking to reporters, Remulla confirmed that technical dives and mapping of the lake bed will proceed despite recent volcanic eruptions.

“We’re asking them to start this week. The basic plan is to map the area and assess the conditions so we can plan our approach,” he said.

Investigators also plan to search fishponds linked to suspects named in the ongoing probe.

Julie “Dondon” Patidongan, alias Totoy, previously alleged that the disappearances were ordered by a syndicate controlling the multi-billion-peso cockfight industry, which grew rapidly when it shifted online during the pandemic. According to Patidongan, the so-called “Alpha” group comprises 20 businessmen and influential investors who dominate the operations.

“One of the suspects has a leased fishpond—that will be our ground zero,” Remulla said.

He noted that while volcanic activity and bad weather have caused sediments and murky waters, these conditions would not deter efforts to locate the missing men.

Meanwhile, Remulla shared that he met with Supreme Court justices regarding allegations of a lobbying group that includes a retired judge accused of acting as a fixer for cockfight-related court cases.

“We’ve already exchanged views. The Supreme Court is investigating. They’re doing their job. They’re very sensitive about what needs to be done to improve our justice system,” he said.

Remulla added that collaboration through the Justice Sector Coordinating Council has strengthened efforts to reform the system, emphasizing that the Supreme Court remains “the best ally” in these initiatives.

Editha Z. Caduaya
Editha Z. Caduayahttps://newsline.ph
Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao. The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.
spot_img

Related articles

Basilan launches first Madaris council, eyes model Islamic education system by 2026

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 17) — In a move seen as a milestone for Islamic education in the province,...

₱102K in shabu seized; 3 alleged drug den operators nabbed near schools in Cotabato City

COTABATO CITY (February 17) — A Valentine’s Day anti-drug sting led to the arrest of three alleged drug...

Tabang: A Final Cry at Sea- 57 Dead, 316 Survivors and the Shipping Failures That Must Be Answered

DAVAO CITY (February 16) ---At 12:56 a.m., on January 26, as darkness swallowed the sea near the Baluk-baluk...

MILF Leader Backs Marcos’ Push for Priority Bills, Urges Action on Long-Delayed BARMM Polls

COTABATO CITY (February 16) — A senior official of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has welcomed President...