Davao Oriental governor seeks billing moratorium to aid quake-hit families

Date:

Share post:

MATI, DAVAO ORIENTAL (October 23) — With thousands of families still picking up the pieces after two devastating earthquakes, Governor Nelson L. Dayanghirang has called on utility providers to give quake survivors a much-needed break — by suspending power and water billing and disconnections for one cycle.

The provincial government formally requested the Davao Oriental Electric Cooperative (DORECO) and local water districts to implement a temporary moratorium, saying the move would ease the burden on households struggling to recover amid ongoing relief and rebuilding operations.

“Many families have lost everything — homes, livelihoods, and stability,” Dayanghirang said. “This simple act of compassion can help them focus on recovery without worrying about unpaid bills.”

Widespread impact

As of October 20, data showed 202,070 families across 11 municipalities and one city were affected by the magnitude 7.4 and 6.8 quakes that rocked the province earlier this month. At least 16,800 houses were damaged — 1,045 totally destroyed and 15,755 partially damaged — while 444 families remain displaced in temporary shelters.

The City of Mati recorded the highest number of affected families at 51,269, followed by Baganga (21,686), Governor Generoso (20,123), Lupon (18,682), and Cateel (18,547).

Baganga sustained the worst destruction with 343 homes flattened, while Caraga and Manay also reported extensive damage and displacement.

Road to recovery

As clearing operations and infrastructure assessments continue, provincial authorities are focusing rehabilitation efforts on the hardest-hit areas while coordinating with national agencies for aid and restoration of essential services.

Dayanghirang said the province remains hopeful that DORECO and the water districts will approve the moratorium request — a small but meaningful show of solidarity as communities work to rebuild their lives.

“Recovery begins with empathy,” the governor said. “Every gesture of compassion brings our people closer to normalcy.”

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

When screens replace conversations: Cardinal Tagle urges families to rebuild children’s human connection

MANILA (August 21)  — In the aftermath of another deadly school shooting, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle turned attention...

PTFoMS pushes media safety drive as BARMM, local polls near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 21)  — With two major elections looming, the government’s media security task force...

DepEd’s counselor shortage leaves 38,000 schools without dedicated mental health support

ZAMBOANGA CITY — For thousands of Filipino students struggling with anxiety, distress, bullying or problems at home, finding...

Davao City tightens school security after Zamboanga campus shooting kills 2 students

DAVAO CITY (August 21)  — Davao City is ramping up school security measures following a deadly shooting at...