Bangsamoro Parliament Removes NOTA, Revises Electoral Code Ahead of First Parliamentary Polls

Date:

Share post:

COTABATO CITY (January 30) — The Bangsamoro Parliament has passed two key election measures, removing the ‘None of the Above’ (NOTA) option from ballots and revising the Bangsamoro Electoral Code, paving the way for the region’s first parliamentary elections.

The NOTA removal bill (PB No. 396) passed 40-2, while the electoral code amendments (PB No. 419), covering party rules, representation, and sectoral seats, were approved 32-6. Both were certified urgent by Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua, allowing immediate passage.

“Retaining NOTA could have created unfilled seats or procedural uncertainty,” said Deputy Speaker Baintan Adil-Ampatuan, one of the measure’s principal authors.

Voters welcome clarity and meaningful participation

Local voters said the changes make the upcoming elections easier to understand and more meaningful.

“It’s better that we now know our votes count toward actual candidates,” said Fatima, a first-time voter in Maguindanao. “We want our voices heard, and NOTA was confusing.”

Residents in rural areas said the clearer rules could encourage higher turnout, especially among youth and women who have historically been underrepresented.

Women and small parties see opportunities

The revised code maintains the 30% quota for women nominees, which female candidates say is essential for meaningful participation.

“It ensures women like me have a seat at the table,” said Ayesha, a lawyer and candidate in Lanao del Sur. “For the first parliamentary elections, this is a real chance to influence policy and represent our communities.”

The amendments also lower the vote threshold for party representation from 4% to 2.5%, giving smaller parties a better chance to win seats and bring local issues and diverse voices to Parliament.

How the reforms affect election outcomes

NOTA removal: Previously, votes for NOTA did not translate into seats and could leave positions vacant. With NOTA gone, all votes now count toward candidates, ensuring full parliamentary representation.

Lower party threshold: Parties now need only 2.5% of total valid votes to win a party representative seat. This allows smaller parties to gain seats while larger parties remain proportionally represented.

Sectoral representation: Non-Moro Indigenous Peoples (NMIPs) continue electing representatives through their assemblies, while other sectoral representatives are elected via direct plurality from accredited parties.

“These changes make our votes matter,” Fatima added. “For the first time, we feel our participation can truly shape the future of Bangsamoro.”

Key reforms for parties and sectoral representation

  • Continuity for BTA members running for Parliament, including Cabinet or executive office holders.
  • Party registration and accreditation under COMELEC via the Bangsamoro Registration and Accreditation Committee (BRAC); non-compliant parties cannot participate.
  • Membership threshold for parties reduced to 5,000, with chapters across provinces and cities.
  • Sectoral certifications revoked and subject to stricter 15-day timelines for approval.

First elections in sight

Despite the March 30, 2026 election postponement, Parliament said preparations continue for the 80-member Bangsamoro Parliament. Lawmakers emphasized that the reforms provide clearer ballots, fairer party participation, and stronger gender and sectoral representation, giving voters and candidates renewed confidence in the democratic process.

spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...