• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • September 1, 2025

ICC has no reason to interfere with PHL affairs – Palace

March 30, 2017 by NewsLine Philippines Leave a Comment

MANILA  — Malacañang on Wednesday said the International Criminal Court (ICC) has no business to meddle with Philippine affairs, stressing that the international body has no reasons to do so.

In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said that the ICC cannot arbitrarily interfere in the domestic affairs of a sovereign country like the Philippines.

“There is no concrete evidence pointing to crimes against humanity here: such crimes must be widespread and systematically directed against a specific group. This element is absent in the Philippine situation,” Abella said.

His statements came after the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) said that the ICC is closely monitoring President Rodrigo Duterte’s war against illegal drug due to the high number of deaths.

In an interview aired Tuesday over The World Tonight at ANC, CHR chair Chito Gascon said that number of deaths under the administration war against drugs has already breached the generally accepted threshold set by the international community for killings to be termed as widespread.

“The general consensus is that you have already reached at thousand deaths,” he said.

The Philippine National Police (PNA) has acknowledged that more than 2,500 have been killed in legitimate police anti-drug operations.

Thousands more were killed in vigilante-style killings believed to be the work of drug syndicate members out to silence their comrades.

But even Gascon admitted that while the CHR is investigating possible cases of human rights violations in the drug war, it is not yet time to bring matters to the ICC.

“CHR prefers to pursue justice within our own national mechanisms,” Gascon said.

Sometime in October last year, ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda warned that “any person in the Philippines who incites or engages in acts of mass violence, including by ordering, requesting, encouraging or contributing, in any other manner, to the commission of crimes within the jurisdiction of the ICC, is potentially liable to prosecution before the Court.”

She added that extrajudicial killings (EJKs) may also fall under the jurisdiction of the ICC “if they are committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack against a civilian population pursuant to a State policy to commit such an attack.”

However, Abella pointed out ‘the Philippine Senate already absolved the President and there exists no such crime.”

The Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights has concluded in October, 2016 that President Duterte has no involvement in alleged summary executions during his term as Davao City mayor and as President.

Sen. Richard Gordon, the panel chair, said that even the current EJKs could not be concluded as state-sponsored. (PNA)

Filed Under: Top Stories

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
12:46 am, Sep 1, 2025
temperature icon 27°C
broken clouds
Humidity: 78 %
Wind: 1 mph
Clouds: 75%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DPWH Chief Bonoan rejects calls to resign amid flood control project controversies

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DPWH, JICA celebrate breakthrough of Southbound Tunnel in Davao Bypass

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Marcos orders DA to lead 60-Day suspension of rice imports

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Local groups want October BARMM polls fair and peaceful

August 30, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved