Arson, grave threats filed vs NPA over equipment burning

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY, Philippines— Police authorities filed arson and grave threat charges against a New People’s Army (NPA) commander, four of its members and other members who torched 10 heavy equipment in three hinterland barangays in the city on Black Saturday.

City Police Office Director Sr. Supt. Alexander Tagum said charges were filed against Ka Roy (Kumander Bungot), Ka Larry, Alias Omer Pagatpat, Alias Samuel Rojas, et. al. for the burning of heavy equipment on April 12.

Tagum said charges of grave threat were filed in relation to the April 14 burning against alias Ka Roy (kumander Bungot), Alias Potot Entera, Alias Samuel Rojas, Alias Ka Larry, Alias Omel Pagatpat thru regular filing.

Meanwhile, police filed an arson charge against seven alleged members of the New People’s Army (NPA) who torched one backhoe at sitio Banualay, Barangay Palma Gil around on April 3.

Last week, Chief Insp .Milgrace Driz, spokesperson of Police Regional Office (PRO) 1I, said that the arson case was filed against Joe Almendras, Dalagis Balite, Enting Mansumiat, Lugib Tausan, Enting Tumbasay, Rommel Tausan and Laro Manlologpis, all residents of Talaingod, Davao del Norte for the burning of heavy equipment in Talaingod, Davao del Norte.

Driz said the charges were filed before the Provincial Prosecution Office in Tagum City duly signed by Christy Theresa Bernadette Dureza, Associate Attorney II.

“We are looking into this, the policemen always go to the area where the incident happened to conduct further investigation,” she said.

On Black Saturday, suspected NPA members burned 10 heavy equipment in the three barangays in Buhangin and Paquibato districts.

Another backhoe was torched by seven armed men at sitio Banualay, Barangay Palma Gil, Talaingod, Davao del Norte around on April 3.

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio condemned the attacks, which she described as “downright cowardly acts”

The construction of roads in Barangay Callawa in Buhangin, Barangay Fatima in Paquibato, and Barangay Dalagdag in Calinan are now stalled because of the attacks, she said.

“The road projects could make the delivery of other basic services to the people faster — including health, education, agricultural development and livelihood,” the mayor said.

“The said projects could change the lives of the people for the better,” she added.

“The fresh atrocities revealed that the terrorist group only truly intends for people to continue living in a condition of poverty, which they could use as a capital in their propaganda against the government and to justify their presence in the communities where their influence and significance are waning,” the city mayor said. –Rhoda Grace Saron/PNA

 

spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...