After Deadly Landslide, DPWH Reopens Key Bukidnon–Davao Road — But Hazard Concerns Remain

Date:

Share post:

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (January 16) — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on Wednesday partially reopened a vital highway linking Bukidnon to the Davao Region, months after a landslide in October 2025 killed two people and severed one of Mindanao’s most important transport corridors.

DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon personally supervised the soft opening of the repaired section in Sitio Kipolot, Quezon. He said the road is now 90 percent complete, with ₱48.5 million spent on repairs and an additional ₱20 million from the Quick Response Fund (QRF) earmarked for asphalting.

“This will not just be a rerouting but a permanent alignment,” Dizon said, highlighting that the new section was designed with Japanese consultants and includes improved drainage to withstand severe weather.

A History of Hazard

The October 2025 landslide was not the first to affect this corridor. According to DPWH records, the Bukidnon–Davao road has experienced at least three major slope failures over the past decade, triggered by heavy rains and deforestation in nearby catchment areas.

The region’s geography — steep hillsides and unstable soil — combined with intense monsoon rainfall makes the road prone to future landslides. Previous hazard assessments warned of potential collapses, prompting calls for slope protection, proper drainage, and early warning systems.

Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri noted that the prolonged closure cost the region an estimated ₱40 million daily in lost economic activity, as businesses and commuters struggled with detours.

Accountability: What Comes Next

While motorists have welcomed the reopening, questions remain:

  • Will the remaining 10 percent of construction be completed on schedule?
  • Are slope protection and drainage measures adequate to prevent another landslide?
  • Will DPWH publicly release hazard and safety assessments before the next rainy season?

Dizon said the alignment is meant to be permanent, not a temporary fix — but communities and traders are watching closely, aware that past warnings were not always heeded.

Why It Matters

The Bukidnon–Davao highway is a lifeline for agriculture, trade, and commuters. Any failure along this corridor quickly translates into higher transport costs, delayed deliveries, and lost income.

For residents and businesses still wary after last year’s tragedy, the partial reopening is a relief — but also a reminder that infrastructure in hazard-prone areas demands constant vigilance, transparency, and proactive maintenance.

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Aleson Resumes Domestic Sailings, but Sabah Repatriation Run Still Hangs on Maritime Clearance

Kota Kinabako, Malaysia (August 16) — Maritine authorities has authorized the resumption of passenger operations by Aleson...

Bonoan: Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa ‘Leadership Fund’

DAKBAYAN SA DAVAO (Agosto 15)—Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa miaging Kongreso og dili mo menus sa...

Mindanao Has the Minerals. Will Pax Silica Bring the Value?

DAVAO CITY (August 15) — Mindanao could become one of the Philippines’ most important sources of the minerals...

Quiboloy extradition: Treaty obligations, due process and the death penalty question

MANILA (August 15) — The Philippine government is preparing to surrender Pastor Apollo Quiboloy to the United States...