All set for today’s Siargao national surfing cup

Date:

Share post:

 DAVAO CITY — Everything is set for today’s first National Surfing Cup in Siargao Island, Surigao del Norte province, this, after the two year lull due to the coronavirus disease-2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.

Dubbed as “The First Mayor Sol’s National Surfing Competition” , the national competition starts today September 28 and will end on October 1 at the Cloud 9 surfing spot in the town of General Luna.

During the press conference, former Surigao del Norte Governor Francisco Matugas said the coordination mattengs which were held before today;s activity were able to thresh out some concerns and the requirements have been provided for.

Matugas, who stands as consultant will oversee the events to ensure that everything works well and everyone is asfe.

The national competition, sanctioned by the United Philippine Surfing Association (UPSA), will serve as a qualifying event for the 26th International Siargao Surfing Cup which will be held on Oct. 15 to 21 also at Cloud 9.

“Aside from the prizes and other financial needs, the security for the event is already in place, with the Philippine National Police and the Philippine Coast Guard tasked to ensure the safety of the players and the visitors, and the orderliness of the occasion,” Matugas said.

International and national surfing competition in the island has been the major economic driver of the province as it attracts international surfing communities but the used to be annual event were halted due to the pandemic and the onslaught of typhoon Odette in December last year.

At least of PHP1.5 million in prizes await the winners of the competition, of which, 12 top players will automatically qualify to compete in the upcoming international surfing event.

The event is made possible with the support of private individuals and the Platinum Globe Mining Corporation headed by Joseph Sy, its chairperson.-

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

P34-B CDO coastal road seeks Japan funding as DPWH pushes Mindanao gateway upgrade

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 22) — The proposed P34-billion extension of the Cagayan de Oro Coastal Road...

PH leads regional push to protect spending for children

MANILA (August 22) — The Philippines has convened eight Asian countries in a regional effort to make sure...

When screens replace conversations: Cardinal Tagle urges families to rebuild children’s human connection

MANILA (August 21)  — In the aftermath of another deadly school shooting, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle turned attention...

PTFoMS pushes media safety drive as BARMM, local polls near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 21)  — With two major elections looming, the government’s media security task force...