BFAR eyes more ‘galunggong’ imports

Date:

Share post:

MANILA –– The government is mulling to import more “galunggong” or round scad fish, given the prevailing lean fishing season and the upcoming no-catching season for the Filipinos’ staple fish, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) said Monday.

“We’re looking into the demand for ‘galunggong’ nationwide,” BFAR national director Eduardo Gongona said on the sidelines of the agency’s 55th Fish Conservation Week celebration in Metro Manila.

Gongona said BFAR will check if there are local areas that can still supply “galunggong,” despite the prevailing lean season when catch is low due to inclement weather.

Such assessment, he said, would show if the country should further import “galunggong” and in what quantity to meet the domestic demand.

Davao and Iloilo had already reported their need for more “galunggong,” he noted.

Last month, agriculture chief Emmanuel Piñol issued a “certificate of necessity” for the importation of up to 17,000 metric tons of “galunggong.”

Such importation would help ensure food security in Metro Manila and stabilize the fish’s price in the wet markets, he said.

The Certificate of Necessity “shall be effective from Sept. 1, 2018 until the expiration thereof after the lapse of 90 days as provided for under FAO 195, or until earlier revoked by the Secretary of Agriculture,” Piñol said in the document.

Gongona assured BFAR’s presence at the customs area, ready to inspect the fish imports upon the arrival.

“We’ll reject the cargo if contaminated and send this back to its source,” he said.

Piñol has tasked the Philippine Fisheries Development Authority to help BFAR monitor the importation and unloading of the fish at the port.

Fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya) had warned against importing “galunggong” into the country.

Such imports, it said, might be tainted with formalin, a chemical used as embalming fluid. But Gongona said BFAR ensures that what reaches the markets is safe for human consumption and won’t harm public health.

Earlier, BFAR reported that its sampling of “galunggong” from three Metro Manila markets had tested negative for formalin. –PNA

spot_img

Related articles

Tabang: A Final Cry at Sea- 57 Dead, 316 Survivors and the Shipping Failures That Must Be Answered

DAVAO CITY (February 16) ---At 12:56 a.m., on January 26, as darkness swallowed the sea near the Baluk-baluk...

MILF Leader Backs Marcos’ Push for Priority Bills, Urges Action on Long-Delayed BARMM Polls

COTABATO CITY (February 16) — A senior official of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has welcomed President...

ICC Pressed to Arrest Duterte’s Alleged Drug War Allies as Hearings Near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (February 16) — With a crucial hearing days away, an international rights coalition is...

Children’s book illustrators gather in Lake Sebu for national workshop amplifying unheard voices

LAKE SEBU, South Cotabato (February 16) — In a lakeside town known for its rich Tboli heritage, twelve...