Corruption won’t stop but gov’t fighting it

Date:

Share post:

MANILA – While admitting that curbing corruption in government is a difficult task, President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday night vowed to continue fighting it until the end of his term.

“We are not proclaiming that we have gotten rid of corruption. There is still corruption in this government and any other government that will come after me and in the past,” Duterte said in a pre-recorded public address.

He said there will always be corruption “as long as there is a running bureaucracy and there is money involved and there are a lot of tables where the papers will go through.”

Duterte said the only way for corruption to be eliminated is to close down the government.

“The most that we can do is to fight it,” he said.

Duterte then went on to read aloud a list of government officials who have been dismissed from service for irregularities.

In October 2020, Duterte ordered the Department of Justice (DOJ) to investigate allegations of corruption “in the entire government”.

Duterte directed the DOJ to have a special focus on the corrupt-ridden Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

Last month, the Anti-Red Tape Authority (ARTA) and the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) to strengthen the government’s fight against corruption and bureaucracy.

The MOA signed by ARTA Director-General Jeremiah Belgica and PACC chairman Greco Belgica aims to align and integrate their functions in handling complaints and reports of violations.

PACC’s Belgica said their partnership with ARTA will include sharing critical information and conduct of joint investigations.

He said the signing of MOA will fast-track and strengthen fact-finding investigations.

spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...