Davao City sends humanitarian aid to typhoon victims

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY — Davao City has once again showed its readiness to help areas devastated by calamities as the city government on Monday pooled resources for 10,000 food packs for the victims of Typhoon Ompong.

“Davao City and the Dabawenyos are always willing and ready to help other provinces in times of calamities,” Mayor Sara Duterte said on Monday. Each food pack contains rice and canned goods, she added.

The typhoon affected 270,388 persons or more than 70,000 families in Regions 1, 2, 3, 4-A, 4-B, Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), and National Capital Region (NCR). Of the number, there are 137,994 persons staying in various evacuation centers.

This is not the first time that the city sent aid to areas affected by calamities. Since the time of then mayor, now President Rodrigo Duterte, the city extends help to neighboring provinces hit by calamities.

Last month, the local government also extended PHP1 million in aid to help its sister-city Marikina in its relief operations for the families affected by flooding following days of heavy rains in the National Capital Region. It also gave PHP4 million in assistance to eight local government units in the provinces of Bulacan, Pampanga, Pangasinan and Tarlac affected by flooding.

Since July, Chief Information Officer Jefry Tupas said the city government already extended a total of PHP12.25 million to areas affected by typhoons Inday, Josie, and Karding in Luzon and the Visayas.

Earlier, Vice Mayor Bernard Al-ag assured Dabawenyos the city government’s quick response allocation still has PHP98 million in available funds. PNA

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

P34-B CDO coastal road seeks Japan funding as DPWH pushes Mindanao gateway upgrade

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 22) — The proposed P34-billion extension of the Cagayan de Oro Coastal Road...

PH leads regional push to protect spending for children

MANILA (August 22) — The Philippines has convened eight Asian countries in a regional effort to make sure...

When screens replace conversations: Cardinal Tagle urges families to rebuild children’s human connection

MANILA (August 21)  — In the aftermath of another deadly school shooting, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle turned attention...

PTFoMS pushes media safety drive as BARMM, local polls near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 21)  — With two major elections looming, the government’s media security task force...