DOH: ‘Contaminated water’ is probable cause of diarrhea outbreak in Davao Occidental

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY – The Department of Health (DOH) Davao confirmed on Sunday the outbreak of diarrhea in Barangay Butuan, Jose Abad Santos town in Davao Occidental.

Jose Abad Santos Vice Mayor James John Royce earlier on his Facebook Page said that 34 patients were brought to the Tomas Lachica District Hospital.

Royce said three persons died of diarrhea, one in the hospital while two others in Barangay Butuan.

“There are 25 persons who are being closely monitored in the community,” the DOH said.

“The probable source of infection is through contaminated water,” said Dr. Amparo Lachica, the municipal health officer.

The DOH said that “a team from the RESU (Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Unit) is set to visit the affected barangay to collect appropriate specimens and continue the investigation together.”

“The Regional Office has provided essential commodities such as medicines and intravenous fluids for the use of Tomas Lachica District Hospital where the patients were admitted,” the DOH added.

The DOH stressed the importance of safe drinking water, use of improved sanitation and hand washing with soap to reduce the risk of diarrhea.

“If anyone is experiencing three or more loose or liquid stools per day, this must be reported immediately to the nearest facility for immediate health interventions,” the DOH said. – NewsLine Philippines

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

P34-B CDO coastal road seeks Japan funding as DPWH pushes Mindanao gateway upgrade

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 22) — The proposed P34-billion extension of the Cagayan de Oro Coastal Road...

PH leads regional push to protect spending for children

MANILA (August 22) — The Philippines has convened eight Asian countries in a regional effort to make sure...

When screens replace conversations: Cardinal Tagle urges families to rebuild children’s human connection

MANILA (August 21)  — In the aftermath of another deadly school shooting, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle turned attention...

PTFoMS pushes media safety drive as BARMM, local polls near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 21)  — With two major elections looming, the government’s media security task force...