DAVAO CITY — Used cooking oil is now a bio-diesel fuel here.
This after the city government through the City Environment and Natural Resources Office (CENRO) successfully processed used cooking oil into biofuel at the Bio Diesel Fuel Plant (BDFP) during the last three months.
Dolly Remojo, supervising environmental management specialist of the CENRO revealed “The BDFP has been processing 1,000 Liters of used cooking oil into biodiesel fuel on a daily basis.”
The agency collects up to 1,000 liters of used cooking oil from their partners every day, converting 90 percent of the used cooking oil into bio diesel fuel while the remaining 10 percent is used for CENRO’s composting.
“We have not really monitored whether or not people have stopped throwing their used cooking oil in the canals but we have noticed an improvement in some of these canals which used to be polluted with used cooking oil,” Remojo said.
The plant is capable of processing only 1,000 liters of used cooking oil per shift. While it is possible to operate the machine for two shifts daily, they decided to operate on single shift only to avoid straining the machine.
The BDFP, located at the CENRO composting facility in Maa , formally started processing of used cooking oil into bio diesel fuel last August.
The main reason for putting up the BDFP is to discourage establishments such as those in the fast food industry, from reusing or selling their used cooking oil. The indiscriminate disposal of cooking oil has also been identified as one of the factors for clogged drainage and canal systems in the city.
The city government has partnered with 45 establishments and four barangays from where they collect the used cooking oil daily. Among the barangays that have continued their contribution to the project are barangays Mintal, Sasa, and Hizon.
The processed bio-diesel fuel is used by CENRO for its garbage trucks and a small backhoe. – Armando B. Fenequito/Newsline.ph
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.