• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • August 31, 2025

First batch of OFWs from Tripoli now en route to PH

April 20, 2019 by NewsLine Philippines

DAVAO CITY (April 20 ) — The first three Filipinos evacuated by the Embassy from Tripoli have departed Tunis ad now en route to the Philippines.

The Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) were assisted by the augmentation team from the Department of Foreign Affairs led by Executive Director Enrico Fos at the Tunis Carthage International Airport. Another four will be repatriated from Tunis on today.

On Wednesday morning, the Embassy came to get Rolando Torres, an OFW who narrowly survived the barrage of rockets that struck Tripoli late Tuesday night. 

Rolando has been working in Tripoli since 2006 and had seen the Libyan capital at its most violent but the attack last night that wounded the Nueva Ecija native in the forehead was different. He now wants to go home.

A total of seven of the 20 Filipinos in conflict-torn Tripoli, who availed of the repatriation offer of the government, are now en route to the Philippines, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

The DFA in a statement said “The first batch of seven Filipinos — three hospital workers and four students — were evacuated by the Philippine Embassy this morning to Tunisia where they will be repatriated to the Philippines.”

Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato said 13 more Filipinos who requested assistance in getting repatriated are expected to arrived in Tunisia’s capital, Tunis, in the next few days.

The embassy is being assisted by augmentation teams from the Office of Migrant Workers Affairs stationed in Tripoli and in Tunis, led by Executive Director Enrico Fos and Director Iric Arribas.

According to the agency, the DFA shouldered the cost of repatriating the four students from an Islamic school in Tripoli while the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) shouldered the airfare of the three employees of the Ali Omar Ashkar Hospital outside Tripoli.

Of the estimated 1,000 Filipinos in the Libyan capital, only 20 have so far requested for repatriation despite efforts of the Embassy to convince them to go home to ensure their safety.

On Tuesday night, several residential areas in Tripoli were hit by barrage of rocket fires, the first since the fighting began early April.

The attack resulted in four fatalities with 23 others wounded, including a Filipino who was injured in his forehead.Following this, five overseas Filipino workers, including the one injured, asked if they could be temporarily accommodated in the Embassy. -EZC/NewsLine.ph

Filed Under: OFW News, Top Stories Tagged With: DFA, LIbya, OFWs in Libya, Tripoli, Tunos

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
2:29 pm, Aug 31, 2025
temperature icon 31°C
overcast clouds
Humidity: 62 %
Wind: 5 mph
Clouds: 100%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DOLE extends internship opportunities to junior HS students

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Maguindanao del Sur drug den owner dead, three cohorts nabbed

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA, LGU Kiblawan launch ‘Gulayan sa Bayan’ project in Davao del Sur

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

4.5K solo parents get 2nd quarter subsidy in Davao City

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved