Historic BARMM Parliamentary Polls Set Amid Red Zones, Terror Threats

Date:

Share post:

KIDAPAWAN CITY (July 30) —All is set for the first parliamentary elections in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) on September 14 despite the identification of some 20 “red areas” and two terrorist groups that could possibly wreak havoc in Maguindanao del Sur.

The Commission on Elections (COMELEC), which has been convening command conferences with the security sector, has already identified red, yellow, and green areas, and has laid down specific security plans commensurate with the color classification.

Red represents some 20 municipalities that had “history of election-related violence,” and yellow represents around 40 areas “relatively peaceful.”

But the security sector is “not taking chances as the Army’s Sixth Infantry Division cited the presence of “terrorist groups” in some areas in the BARMM.

Atty.  Ray F. Sumalipao, director of the Comelec in BARMM, in an interview on Tinig ng Bayan, a public affairs program of Joy-FM, was so confident that the parliamentary elections would be orderly and peaceful.

“This is the only election happening during this period; hence, we have more than enough (Comelec) personnel” to man the more than 1,000 clusters of some 4,000 precincts in the entire region that has voters of 2.3 million.

Lt. Col. Ronaldo E. Suscano, spokesperson of the Army’s Sixth Infantry Division based in Awang, Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao, identified some towns within the Division’s area of jurisdiction that have been classified as “red” areas.

Among them are the towns of Ampatuan, Shariff Aguak, Mamasapano, and Datu Piang in Maguindanao del Sur, along the boundaries of this city and the town of Matalam in Cotabato Province, and other Special Geographic Areas within the Division’s area of responsibility. SGAs are municipalities in provinces outside of the BARMM but have opted to join the Autonomous Region in a plebiscite.

In BARMM areas that are part of the jurisdiction of the Army’s Sixth Division are the 601st Brigade based in Ampatuan town of Maguindanao del Sur, 602nd Brigade in Carmen, Cotabato, and a Marine Brigade based in Barera, Maguindanao del Norte. Barera is one of three adjacent towns considered as bailiwick of the MILF.

Aside from “history of election-related violence,” among other reasons that Suscano cited as factors in identifying “red” areas were cases of “armed clashes between the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front) and MNLF (Moro National Liberation Front), private armed groups versus MILF, and, MILF vs PNP (Philippine National Police).” Clashes between PNP and MILF forces happened as the former served warrants of arrest against members and supporters of the latter.

Asked how they plan to address violence among MILF members, Suscano said it is the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace and Reconciliation and Unity, headed by Secretary Mel Senen Sarmiento, which is addressing intra-MILF feuds.

When the MILF signed the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro with the government on March 27, 2014, a breakaway group opposed to the CAB, was organized by the late Kumander Umbra Kato, who headed the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighter (BIFF). Kumander Bungos succeeded Kato, but died in an encounter with government troopers last July 5.

While running the BARMM, the MILF had been divided again after Malacanang unseated Interim Chief Minister Aljah Murad Ebrarim, replacing him with Abdulraof Macacua. Murad, running under the United Bangsamoro Justice Party, is seeking a seat in the Bangsamoro parliament in the coming September 14 election, while Macacua, who was expelled from the Central Committee of the MILF, is running under the Bangsamoro Federalist Party.

The BIFF, which Suscano said only has “around 10” remaining members, and the Daulah Islamiah, are two “terrorist” groups being closely monitored by the Army, though the Army spokesperson said the latter “is more active” than the former.-Romy Elusfa

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Bangsamoro transition tests promise of accessible, accountable services

COTABATO CITY (August 19) — As the Bangsamoro Government rolls out a new government center, digital services, a...

Davao’s P2.7-B CIF enters Duterte impeachment trial

DAVAO CITY (August 19)  — Davao City’s P2.697 billion in confidential and intelligence funds (CIF) has entered Vice...

NIA-Davao’s PalitAni puts farmers closer to consumers

DAVAO CITY (August 19)  — For farmers, producing a good harvest is only half the battle. Finding buyers—and...

Cacao pioneer Charita Puentespina dies at 86

DAVAO CITY (August 19)  — Charita “Chari” Palmares Puentespina, the Davao agricultural pioneer who helped transform a family...