ICC Freezes Money Seized From Duterte, Prosecution Seeks Access to Other Arrest Items

Date:

Share post:

MANILA (June 29) — Judges of the International Criminal Court (ICC) have approved a prosecution request to freeze the money seized from former president Rodrigo Duterte when he was arrested and surrendered to the tribunal in March 2025, according to newly released court filings.

Public documents made available on Friday show that ICC Trial Chamber III granted the prosecution’s request to preserve “any money that had been seized” from Duterte following his arrest.

The amount of money seized from the former president has not been disclosed.

The newly released filings also reveal that prosecutors are seeking access to other personal items confiscated during Duterte’s arrest as part of their continuing investigation into the crimes against humanity charges he faces.

While the defense said it does not object to prosecutors inspecting some of the seized items, lead defense counsel Peter Haynes urged the judges to deny access to the keys currently held by the ICC Registry.

“The request is, in substance, a fishing expedition,” the defense argued in a submission filed on June 16. It said prosecutors had failed to establish any evidentiary basis linking the keys to the alleged crimes or to assets relevant to the investigation.

For the remaining seized items, Duterte’s lawyers asked the court to ensure that prosecutors limit access to personal information belonging to the former president and his family that is unrelated to the case.

The defense also requested that any irrelevant personal information obtained during the inspection be destroyed or permanently deleted “at the earliest possible opportunity.”

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

When screens replace conversations: Cardinal Tagle urges families to rebuild children’s human connection

MANILA (August 21)  — In the aftermath of another deadly school shooting, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle turned attention...

PTFoMS pushes media safety drive as BARMM, local polls near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 21)  — With two major elections looming, the government’s media security task force...

DepEd’s counselor shortage leaves 38,000 schools without dedicated mental health support

ZAMBOANGA CITY — For thousands of Filipino students struggling with anxiety, distress, bullying or problems at home, finding...

Davao City tightens school security after Zamboanga campus shooting kills 2 students

DAVAO CITY (August 21)  — Davao City is ramping up school security measures following a deadly shooting at...