The opening of the trails starting July 1 was declared following the conduct of trail assessment and clearing operations of the four entry points led by Protected Area Superintendent Concordio Remoroza.
Joan Nathaniel Gerangaya, head of Special Concerns of the Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office, said in a report on Wednesday the trails were opened about three years after Alert Level 1 was hoisted on the active volcano amid its abnormal condition and period of unrest.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology lowered the MKNP’s status to Alert Level 1 to 0, or no alert or normal status last May 5.
Mount Kanlaon’s entry points include Mapot and Manawin trails in Canlaon City in Negros Oriental, and Guintubdan trail in La Carlota City, and Wasay trail in Murcia town in Negros Occidental.
Forester Rally Cagayanan said foreign trekkers will be charged PHP1,000 while local trekkers, PHP500.
Only 10 trekkers will be allowed for every trail. They can stay overnight in the designated campsites.
Bookings are accepted at the Community Environment and Natural Resources Office in Bago City, Negros Occidental or at the Canlaon City Hall.
Meanwhile, the DENR has also started collecting fees from trekkers at the Northern Negros Natural Park at PHP300 each.
Based on the guidelines, 75 percent of the total collection will be deposited as protected areas fund while the remaining 25 percent goes to the national treasury.(Marchel P. Espina/PNA)