• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • August 31, 2025

Over 3M foreign tourists visited PH in first half of 2017

August 11, 2017 by Philippine News Agency Leave a Comment

 

MANILA,  Philippines- More than 3 million foreign tourists visited the Philippines in the first half of 2017 (January to June), data from the Department of Tourism (DOT) showed.

 

Foreign tourist arrivals for the period of January to June of 2017 jumped by 12.7 percent to 3.357 million compared to 2.978 million in the same period in 2016, DOT Secretary Wanda Teo disclosed in a Congressional budget hearing.

Teo also said that South Korea remained the top tourist market with 795,085 visitors (a 23.68 percent share of total inbound traffic) while US and China came in second and third with 513,443 (15.29 percent) and 454,962 (13.55 percent), respectively.

She attributed the rise in tourist arrivals from emerging markets and China as a significant factor to the improved tourism numbers and industry performance.

Chinese arrivals were up by 33.44 percent with 454,962 visitors compared to last year’s 340,958.

Notable increases were also gained by India at 23.41 percent with 54,663 visitors and Canada at 18.41 percent with 108,243 visitors.

“In the face of challenges, the country continued to receive the growing influx of tourists from across the globe, desiring to see our world-class destinations,” Teo said.

The 3.357 million figure comes despite terror threats and President Rodrigo Duterte’s declaration of martial law in Mindanao on May 23 showing that the events did not put a dent in tourism numbers.

Last month, the Congress granted Duterte’s request to extend martial law in Mindanao until the end of the year to give troops more time to crush the Maute terror group.

Teo, meanwhile, vowed to pursue a more competitive branding campaign to reach its goal of acquiring 7 million foreign tourists by year end.

It may be recalled that the Congress already agreed to raise the DOT’s 2018 budget including a PHP1 billion marketing fund.

The DOT chief said that the marketing fund “would go a long way” in boosting the agency’s branding campaign that will be at par with those the country’s Asian neighbors. (PNA)

 

Filed Under: Newslights Tagged With: Over 3M foreign tourists visited PH in first half of 2017, Wanda Teo

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
8:20 am, Aug 31, 2025
temperature icon 27°C
overcast clouds
Humidity: 83 %
Wind: 5 mph
Clouds: 100%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DOLE extends internship opportunities to junior HS students

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Maguindanao del Sur drug den owner dead, three cohorts nabbed

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA, LGU Kiblawan launch ‘Gulayan sa Bayan’ project in Davao del Sur

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

4.5K solo parents get 2nd quarter subsidy in Davao City

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved