P180B Down the Drain? Senate flags massive losses to ghost flood projects

Date:

Share post:

MANILA (December 4)  — Billions in public funds meant to protect communities from flooding may have never reached the ground at all.

Senate President Pro Tempore Ping Lacson on Wednesday warned that as much as P180 billion could have been siphoned off through ghost flood control projects since 2016 — a staggering loss that hits hardest the very communities these projects were supposed to keep safe.

In a radio interview, Lacson said he and Senate Finance Chair Win Gatchalian arrived at the estimate after reviewing inspections of flood control projects nationwide.

“We’re looking at 30,000 flood control projects since 2016. If we extrapolate earlier findings that more than 600 out of 10,000 projects were ghost projects… the losses could reach P180 billion or even higher,” Lacson said.

He added: “Imagine that — P180 billion gone to ghost projects. And that doesn’t even include substandard ones.”

Billions lost, while communities suffer real floods

The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee is deep into its probe of anomalous flood control spending — focusing on the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan First District as a case study of how corruption allegedly operates from local offices all the way up the chain.

For residents in flood-prone areas, the revelations cut deep: while families wade through waist-deep waters every rainy season, billions of pesos meant to build dikes, drainage systems, and river defenses may have ended up in the pockets of officials and contractors.

A “pittance” returned

Former DPWH Bulacan First District Engineer Henry Alcantara recently returned P110 million in plundered funds and is expected to return P200 million more. But Lacson dismissed this as a drop in the bucket compared to the suspected scale of the scheme.

“The amount returned is a pittance,” he said, noting that the true losses remain unknown and likely run into the billions.

Ghost projects uncovered — and counting

So far, the DPWH has confirmed 421 ghost projects out of the 8,000 inspected — barely a quarter of the total 30,000 projects nationwide.

Community advocates say the numbers paint a grim picture: for every community that floods, every school or barangay road washed out, every family displaced, there may be a “project” on paper that was fully funded — but never built.

As investigations continue, both senators emphasized that the issue is not just about lost funds, but about public safety, trust, and the right of communities to disaster-resilient infrastructure that actually exists.

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

PPCRV joins push to secure 2026 BARMM polls

DAVAO CITY (August 23)  — As the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) prepares for its first...

P34-B CDO coastal road seeks Japan funding as DPWH pushes Mindanao gateway upgrade

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 22) — The proposed P34-billion extension of the Cagayan de Oro Coastal Road...

PH leads regional push to protect spending for children

MANILA (August 22) — The Philippines has convened eight Asian countries in a regional effort to make sure...

When screens replace conversations: Cardinal Tagle urges families to rebuild children’s human connection

MANILA (August 21)  — In the aftermath of another deadly school shooting, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle turned attention...