Sandiganbayan junks graft raps vs. NoCot Gov. Catamco

Date:

Share post:

Kidapawan City — The 4th Division of Sandiganbayan reversed its earlier Resolution dated November 10, 2020 denying the prosecution’s Manifestation to Withdraw Information against North Cotabato Governor Nancy Catamco in SB-19-CRM-0100, for violation of Sec. 3(e) of RA 3019 Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act.

The Sandiganbayan resolved the Omnibus Motion for Reconsideration of the Resolution dated November 10, 2020 and for Deferment of Arraignment and Pre-Trial filed by Gov. Catamco in her favor in a Resolution promulgated on Tuesday, January 19.

“After due consideration of the arguments and jurisprudence presented and a thorough re-examination of the case insofar as relating to herein accused, the Court is constrained to reverse its previous resolution,” the Sandiganbayan said.

The Sandiganbayan re-examined the evidence on record and was resolved to declare that the evidence of the prosecution against Catamco, as it stands, is insufficient to establish her participation in the alleged crime, through conspiracy, even by circumstantial evidence.

“The emphasis given by the accused on the absence of overt acts to prove her participation in the alleged conspiracy to commit the offense charged is a matter which this Court previously failed to give ample consideration in resolving the prosecution’s Manifestation in denying the motion to withdraw the Information against Catamco. The Court reasoned out that the prosecution may be able to establish the alleged conspiracy by circumstantial evidence sans proof of any overt act on the part of said accused. A re-evaluation of the stance taken by the Court, however, calls for a reversal of its previous ruling, specially in the light of jurisprudential tenets on circumstantial evidence and its requisites,” the Sandiganbayan said.

The Court explained that “for circumstantial evidence to be sufficient for a conviction, the following requisites must occur: (a) there is more than once circumstance; (b) the facts from which the inference are derived have been proven, and (c) the combination of all circumstances is such as to produce a conviction beyond reasonable doubt”.

“The case against accused Nancy Perez (Catamco) in SB-19-CRM-0100 is dismissed,” the Court concluded.

The Court, then, ordered that the cash bond posted by Catamco for her provisional liberty be released and the Hold Departure Order issued against her be lifted and set aside. – Taher G. Solaiman/Newsline.ph

spot_img

Related articles

Norway backs Bangsamoro peace push with upgraded joint ops center in Cotabato

COTABATO CITY (February 17)  — In a region once defined by armed clashes, former foes are now sharing...

DICT arms Tawi-Tawi teachers vs. online child abuse as internet access expands

33 teachers from 12 Sibutu schools in Tawi-Tawi completed cybersecurity, data privacy, and OSAEC training under the Department...

Davao Light energizes Kapalong hospital, marks first major hookup under new franchise

KAPALONG, Davao del Norte (February 17)  — Reliable power has finally reached a critical lifeline in this town. The...

Basilan launches first Madaris council, eyes model Islamic education system by 2026

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 17) — In a move seen as a milestone for Islamic education in the province,...