Chemical Poisoning Downs 47 personsPosted on
DAVAO CITY, Philippines — At least 47 persons were affected with leaked poisonous insecticide in Barangay Doña Paz, Sasa here Monday afternoon.
Residents started to notice the foul odor at about 10:00 in the morning, but they thought it will pass since it was raining.
But when the soil was already dry, the smell became stronger and residents started to fell dizzy, some nauseated while others vomited which prompted them to call the city’s 911 emergency team.
The Sasa Police report stated that the chemical exposure came from the house owned by Cosme Sanchez particularly inside the room of his son Regil Daya alias Duco, 23 , married, former employee at BMEG and a resident of Purok Sr Niño, Riverside, Km.9, Sasa, Davao City.
Authorities found a sack containing about 15 pieces of liter and 500 ml bottle of insecticides with label “JALEM EC”buried more or less one foot deep below the ground inside the room of Rigel.
FO3 Donn Anloague, Chief of Special Rescue Unit from the Davao City Fire District said the chemical was hazardous as indicated by the effect it had on people who inhaled the substance.
Residents told investigators, they saw Sanchez going out of the house at around 1:00 in the morning. As of press time, he remained at-large.
Barangay Captain Toto Flores of Sasa revealed, they have been monitoring Sanchez due to suspicious activities, which he did not elaborate.
The chemicals were taken by the personnel from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources which will be referred to the Fertilizer and Pesticide Authorities.
The 47 affected residents are now out of danger and in stable condition and were allowed to go home after the medical examination by 911 personnel.- Rey Nuñez/Newsline.ph