Duterte signs law modifying PNP rankPosted on
DAVAO CITY (February 21) — President Rodrigo R. Duterte has signed into law a bill, which modifies the rank classification of the Philippine National Police (PNP).
Former Special Assistant to the President (SAP) Christopher “Bong” Go bared this Thursday but did not provide further details.
Go said the new law also standardizes how police officers are being called.
It also clarifies the command and responsibility in the PNP for effective and efficient supervision and control among its uniformed personnel.
The new rank classification in the PNP shall be as follows:
- PNP chief with four star rank – Police General.
- Deputy Director General – 3 star rank – Police Lt. General
- Director – 2 star rank – Police Major General
- Chief Supt – 1 star rank General – Brigadier General
- Senior Supt – Police Lieutenant Colonel
- Chief Inspector – Police Major
- Senior Inspector – Police Captain
- SPO4 – Police Executive Master Sergeant
- SPO3 – Police Chief Master Sergeant
- SPO2 – Police Senior Master Sergeant
- SPO1 – Police Master Sergeant and Police Staff Sergeant
- PO1 – Police Corporal and Patrolman/Patrolwoman
PNP Spokesman Senior Supt. Bernard Banac welcomed the President’s move, noting that it will improve police performance output and productivity.
Banac said that the modified classification will also make it easier for the public to understand the police ranking.
“The rank classification will contribute to more performance output and productivity from the police for having high morale as they will be called again the way they were addressed before, in contrast to the present rank classification, which the public still find difficult to follow and understand,” Banac said.
Interior Secretary Eduardo M. Año, in a press briefing said, he is hoping that after the signing of the bill the new ran k system willbe implemented “Magkakaroon tayo ng donning ng bagongranks (the new system of ranks, we will have a donning of new ranks),” Año said.-ezc/NewsLine