36 poll protest cases filed so far: Comelec

Date:

Share post:

MANILA — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Tuesday reported that it has received over 30 electoral protest cases, more than two weeks after the holding of the May 13 midterm polls.

“As per ECAD (Electoral Contests Adjudication Department), 36 cases as of 3 p.m. today, May 28,” said the poll body in a statement.

Earlier, Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said that the cases involving local positions were submitted before the poll body’s main office in Intramuros, Manila.

Among the cases are from the cities of Taguig and San Juan; and provinces of Leyte, Kalinga and Negros.

However, the poll body official did not reveal those involved in the protest cases.

Jimenez explained that protest cases involving city and provincial elective positions are under the jurisdiction of Comelec head office.

As for poll protests of municipal elective positions, he said these should be filed before the Regional Trial Courts (RTCs).

On the other hand, the Comelec official added that protest cases involving senators are presented before the Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET) while the House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal (HRET) handles cases involving congressmen.

“We invite anyone with complaints to approach us in official channels so we could act on your complaints at soonest,” Jimenez said.

Under existing rules, Comelec, through one of its two Divisions, shall handle all election protests involving regional, provincial, and city officials.-PNA

spot_img

Related articles

Teachers push back as DepEd proposes shift to trimester system

DAVAO CITY (February 19)  — “Teachers and students are not lab rats.” That’s the warning from the Alliance...

Talaingod’s children pay the price as DepEd officials face suspension over unbuilt schools

TALAINGOD, DAVAO DEL NORTE (February 19)  — In this remote municipality, classrooms that should shelter eager students stand...

BARMM prepares for Ramadan, blending faith, governance, and commerce

COTABATO CITY (February 19)  — Authorities in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) have put systems...

After 30 days, search ends — but questions remain in Davao Gulf tragedy

DAVAO CITY (February 19)  — The Philippine Coast Guard has formally ended its month-long search and retrieval operations...