• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • September 1, 2025

400,000 undocumented Filipinos in Malaysia face immigration crackdown

August 31, 2018 by NewsLine Philippines

DAVAO CITY (August 31)— An estimated 400,000 undocumented Filipinos in Malaysia are  facing crackdown as the two-year Voluntary deportation Program ended yesterday August 30.

The Departmenf of Foreign Affairs in Malaysia sounded off Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano that only 5,844 Filipinos availed of amnesty since it was launched in January 2016 – a figure representing less than 1 percent of the estimated 400,000 undocumented Filipinos in Malaysia.

Ambassador to Malaysia Charles Jose in a statement to DFA Manila said “With Malaysia’s amnesty program ending today, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is advising Filipinos there to expect authorities to launch a nationwide immigration crackdown as early as tomorrow.”

The DFA issued the advisory after authorities in Kuala Lumpur announced  that there would be no extension to the Voluntary Deportation Program that was launched in 2016.

The DFA  issued a reminded  to Filipinos in Malaysia, particular those without legal immigration status, that the amnesty program ended.

“In view of this, we request our kababayan to exercise due prudence and to ensure they carry their legal documents at all times,” Ambassador Jose said.

The envoy said that since the program was implemented two and a half years ago, the Embassy has been assisting Filipino applicants by issuing travel documents free of charge, paying exit fees and airfare assistance (as needed) as well as issuing endorsements and even providing transportation to the Immigration Office in Putrajaya.

163 undocumented Filipinos from Sabah, Malaysia were intercepted by the personnel from Philippine Coast Guard in the waters of Basilan.-Coast Guard Photo

Ambassador Jose said the Embassy has also issued several public advisories to explain the requirements and procedure for the program.

On the last month of the amnesty program, Ambassador Jose said the Embassy also facilitated the applications of undocumented Filipinos, such as allowing document applications by mail, adjusting the security vetting procedures.

The Embassy has also been issuing reminders on social media platforms and through the Filipino Community of the anticipated nationwide immigration crackdown beginning tomorrow.

Hundreds of undocumented Filipino enter Malaysia through the southern backdoor, they enter Sabah via Basilan, Sulu or Tawi-tawi.

Most of them are from the provinces of Basilan and Zamboanga Peninsula, the areas always affected by the war.

The embassy, he added, issued reminders on social media platforms and through the Filipino community of the anticipated nationwide immigration crackdown on undocumented foreigners.

Manila has repeatedly urged illegally-staying Filipinos in Malaysia to voluntarily return to the Philippines, warning that those who will be caught will be kept in detention while undergoing deportation proceedings.

ALSO READ: 63-ka-filipino-gikan-sa-sabah-malaysia-gi-hold-sa-dakbayan-sa-zamboanga/

Reports from Malaysia revealed that the crackdown has been set and anytime immigration personnel will implement the order.-ezc/NewsLine.ph

Filed Under: OFW News, Top Stories Tagged With: DFA, undocumented FIlipinos in Laysia

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
4:29 am, Sep 1, 2025
temperature icon 25°C
scattered clouds
Humidity: 88 %
Wind: 2 mph
Clouds: 40%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DPWH Chief Bonoan rejects calls to resign amid flood control project controversies

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DPWH, JICA celebrate breakthrough of Southbound Tunnel in Davao Bypass

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Marcos orders DA to lead 60-Day suspension of rice imports

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Local groups want October BARMM polls fair and peaceful

August 30, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved