• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • August 30, 2025

Firefight between Gov’t and Maute group displaces 1,500 families in Lanao Sur

June 18, 2018 by NewsLine Philippines

ILIGAN CITY (June 18)  – At least 1,500 families in Lanao del Sur fled home due to a firefight between government forces and the Daesh-inspired Maute terrorist group that started Sunday morning, June 17, 2018.

The fight took place at the boundaries of the municipalities of Pagayawan and Tubaran towards the town of Marogong, the most affected areas according to the Provincial Crisis Management Committee (PCMC).

Zia Adiong, spokesperson of the PCMC, said there are 500 families from nine (9) barangays in Tubaran while 255 families from seven (7) barangays in Pagayawan who fled their homes and sought refuge in neighboring towns in Binidayan and Bayang.

According to Adiong, there is still no official report on the number of displaced families in Marogong, but some of the more than 700 families who evacuated in Binidayan are from the said town .

Around 49 families are in Bayang. “Our Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) has been activated to coordinate with the military and to provide all the necessary humanitarian response and assistance,” Adiong said.

He added that Governor Soraya Adiong has also directed all line agencies, especially the Provincial Social Welfare and Development (PSWD) and the Provincial Health Office (PHO) to mobilize and start checking on the needs of the affected families.

The availability of all spaces has also been monitored for the accommodation of the displaced families. The Provincial Peace and Order Council (PPOC) has been reconvened to assess and monitor the situation on the ground to avoid spill-over of the clashes to other municipalities.

“Pinapabantayan especially ang (mga exits ng) Tubaran kasi hilly, magkakaroon sila (terorista) ng natural defense system,” Adiong added.   He pointed out that the primary concern of the provincial government is to ensure the safety of civilians because it does not want to replicate the Marawi siege.

Romeo Brawner, Jr., deputy commander of the Joint Task Force Ranao, said the operation started Friday when government troops were positioned to run after the group of Owayda Benito Marohomsar alias Abu Dar.

Marahomsar  has been in the terror wanted list of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, with a P3-million  bounty on his head. He is said to be the appointed emir (leader) of the Islamic State in Southeast Asia replacing Abu Sayaff leader Isnilon Hapilon who was killed in the five-month war in Marawi.

Abu Dar, who hails from Pagayawan town, was reportedly one of the 10 leaders who planned the attack in Marawi last year.

The video footage of their group planning the attack was recovered by the military from the laptop the militants left at Hapilon’s apartment in Barangay Bask Malutlut in Marawi at the start of the firefight.

Brawner said, Abu Dar escaped from the main battle ground during the early weeks of Marawi siege purposely to get additional troops from outside but was not able to go back to the battle field due to heightened checkpoints.

Abu Dar has continued recruiting members, targeting young ones whose family members died during Marawi siege. They are being trained in the mountainous parts of Lanao del Sur and he has been sighted frequently in Tubaran.

The AFP assured that no civilians will be caught in a cross fire because the aerial bombings has concentrated in the mountainous parts of Lanao del Sur where the terrorists are hiding.

Brawner said there are reports indicating that five members of the Maute-ISIS group have been killed. “The military is still verifying these reports. We are asking the public to stay calm. The 103rd Infantry Brigade is making sure that the hostilities will not extend beyond the mountanous areas of Tubaran and Pagayawan of Lanao del Sur,” Brawner said in a statement sent to the media Monday afternoon.-Divina M. Suson/NewsLine.ph

Filed Under: Top Stories Tagged With: 1, 500 displaced in Lanao del Sur, Abu Dar., Barangay Bask Malutlut, Owayda Benito Marohomsar

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
11:48 pm, Aug 30, 2025
temperature icon 26°C
broken clouds
Humidity: 94 %
Wind: 2 mph
Clouds: 75%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:46 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DOLE extends internship opportunities to junior HS students

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Maguindanao del Sur drug den owner dead, three cohorts nabbed

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA, LGU Kiblawan launch ‘Gulayan sa Bayan’ project in Davao del Sur

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

4.5K solo parents get 2nd quarter subsidy in Davao City

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved