Duterte warns crematorium owners not to increase rates

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY — These days when most deceased are cremated, crematorium business is brisk.

But President Rodrigo Duterte has warned business owners not to take advantage of the demand, asking them not to increase their prices.

Duterte said crematoriums must maintain their pre-quarantine rates as the country is trying its best to contain the coronavirus pandemic.

“Ito namang may-ari ng crematorium, may I ask you to maintain ‘yung presyo ng cremation before and ante — ante quarantine,” President Duterte said in a televised address to the nation last week.

“Ibig sabihin ‘yung presyo na wala pa tayong problema, ‘yon ang ibigay ninyo. Nakikiusap ako. Tutal negosyo ‘yan eh. Kumikita kayo ng pera na sinusunog ‘yung katawan.”

According to the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases, local government units (LGUs) were mandated to designate funeral service facilities to handle the remains of patients who died due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Funeral homes refusing to service coronavirus patients could face sanctions. Meanwhile, President Duterte issued a new warning to hospitals that refuse to accept patients during the present COVID-19 emergency.

“Nine hospitals refused to accept patients. And therefore, we are calling — not after the COVID crisis — but I’ll be asking today the Department of Health to start the investigation,” the President said in his address. “And I’m sorry but, you know, there are rules to be followed,” he stressed.

The President said hospitals should not turn away patients and it’s their obligation to find ways to deal with the current health emergency.

“Kaya maghanap kayo ng paraan kung how to deal with the problem because you are a hospital,” he said.

“You can build a makeshift thing plus tent or what and you can do the investigation there at a distance. But whether or not it is really enough, that is your problem. You are a hospital,” he added.

The government reported that there are 5,660 infected individuals in the country with 362 deaths. A total of 435 people recovered from the disease.-NewsLine

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

P34-B CDO coastal road seeks Japan funding as DPWH pushes Mindanao gateway upgrade

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 22) — The proposed P34-billion extension of the Cagayan de Oro Coastal Road...

PH leads regional push to protect spending for children

MANILA (August 22) — The Philippines has convened eight Asian countries in a regional effort to make sure...

When screens replace conversations: Cardinal Tagle urges families to rebuild children’s human connection

MANILA (August 21)  — In the aftermath of another deadly school shooting, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle turned attention...

PTFoMS pushes media safety drive as BARMM, local polls near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (August 21)  — With two major elections looming, the government’s media security task force...