• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • August 31, 2025

Suspect in businesswoman’s rape-slay surrenders

July 27, 2021 by Editha Z. Caduaya

DAVAO CITY —Claiming he was bothered by his conscience a self-confessed suspect in the rape-slay of Christine Sunga Corpuz on March 1, 2021, surrendered before the authorities on July 19, but the police only announced on Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Davao City Police Director Col. Kirby John Kraft in an interview with reporters said the suspect is a parking attendant and was high on drugs and under the influence of liquor during the commission of the crime.

Corpuz was killed in a secluded area in Buhangin District here at around 4:00 in the afternoon of March 1, her body was found topless in a secluded area just 114 steps away from their house.

Kraft said, “The suspect admitted the crime and he is also the same person who was seen on the CCTV after the crime, he escaped for weeks but came back to the city but he said he has been sleepless and bothered by his conscience.”

Sunga was a cosmetic manager.

On March 22, the DSCPO filed a case against the suspect who was still in hiding.

A Newsline source said, the suspect went to a church to see a priest for confession but the priest was out, he was attended by a nun. After his confession, the nun has advised the suspect to surrender to authorities.

A source said the police advised the family to get a lawyer of their own choice to extract the judicial confession of the suspect in order to avoid the suspicion that the suspect was forced to admit the crime.

Corpuz was reported missing in the afternoon of February 28 after she left their residence and asked permission from her husband to go to the tailoring shop at San Pedro Village, Buhangin but failed to return home until she was found lifeless at the grassy area at the back of McDonald’s beside Ladislawa Village in Buhangin District the following day.

DCPO Chief Colonel Kirby John Kraft previously confirmed that Corpuz had been raped and eventually killed by the suspect.

The autopsy also showed that the cause of her death was Blunt Traumatic Head Injuries Asphyxia by Suffocation. The same medical findings reveal that there was clear evidence of blunt trauma to the genital area confirming that she was really raped

Arnel Corpuz. the spokesperson of the family said, “We are convinced that he is the suspect and we will just wait for the court hearings to proceed.”

Kraft said they considered the case closed.-Editha Z. Caduaya

Filed Under: Top Stories Tagged With: Christine Corpuz update, Col. Kirby John KRaft

About Editha Z. Caduaya

Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao.

The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
7:46 am, Aug 31, 2025
temperature icon 26°C
broken clouds
Humidity: 100 %
Wind: 1 mph
Clouds: 75%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DOLE extends internship opportunities to junior HS students

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Maguindanao del Sur drug den owner dead, three cohorts nabbed

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA, LGU Kiblawan launch ‘Gulayan sa Bayan’ project in Davao del Sur

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

4.5K solo parents get 2nd quarter subsidy in Davao City

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved