NBI arrests three recruiters, rescues 12 women recruits

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY, Philippines — Operatives of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) arrested three illegal recruiters on Tuesday, June 25, and rescued twelve women recruits from an unauthorized holding area.

The recruiters, associated with Bahrain Davao Human Resource Specialists Co., were apprehended following a request from the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW).

“Bahrain Davao Human Resource Specialists Co. is not licensed/authorized by this Department to recruit workers for overseas employment,” stated a letter signed by Atty: Liza Alcera, OIC Director for Licensing and Regulations Bureau of the DMW.

“We arrested the three recruiters and rescued 12 recruits following the request letter from the Department of Migrant Workers,” Atty. Archi Albao, NBI XI Regional Director, told Newsline. Albao noted that the agency’s office also served as a holding area for recruits pending the approval of their work permits.

The agency had been operational for over a year without the required license from the DMW. Most of the recruits are from the Davao Region and nearby provinces, according to Lawyer Angela Libreado-Trinidad, OIC Regional Director of DMW Davao.

“The rescued workers will be endorsed to the appropriate agency, DSWD QRT, for temporary shelter to support the case build-up against the recruiters who operated without a license,” Trinidad explained.

One recruit, who requested anonymity, said in the vernacular, “We did not pay anything, and we are staying for free.”

However, under the anti-illegal recruitment law, Trinidad clarified, “Even if no money is involved, it is still considered illegal recruitment because they do not have the permit to recruit.”

Trinidad revealed that the DMW has filed cases of illegal recruitment against three agencies since January of 2024.

The recruits applied for jobs in Polland, United Arab Emirates among others.

spot_img

Related articles

Norway backs Bangsamoro peace push with upgraded joint ops center in Cotabato

COTABATO CITY (February 17)  — In a region once defined by armed clashes, former foes are now sharing...

DICT arms Tawi-Tawi teachers vs. online child abuse as internet access expands

33 teachers from 12 Sibutu schools in Tawi-Tawi completed cybersecurity, data privacy, and OSAEC training under the Department...

Davao Light energizes Kapalong hospital, marks first major hookup under new franchise

KAPALONG, Davao del Norte (February 17)  — Reliable power has finally reached a critical lifeline in this town. The...

Basilan launches first Madaris council, eyes model Islamic education system by 2026

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 17) — In a move seen as a milestone for Islamic education in the province,...