• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • August 31, 2025

Supreme Court rejects TRO to block ICC arrest of Duterte

March 12, 2025 by Editha Z. Caduaya

Photo: Karl Norman Alozo/PP

DAVAO CITY – The Supreme Court of the Philippines clarified that it did not issue a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) regarding the petition filed by former President Rodrigo Duterte’s legal team to prevent Philippine authorities from assisting the International Criminal Court (ICC) in arresting him.

A one-page statement says that after a thorough review and legal analysis, “the petitioners failed to establish a clear and unmistakable right for the court to grant a TRO immediately.” Supreme Court Counters Social Media Misinformation

SC spokesperson Atty. Camille Ting said in a statement that the court found that they failed to establish a “clear and unmistakable right” to immediately issue a TRO.

However, in a message to reporters, the SC clarified that issuing a TRO is “still possible.” 

The Court’s statement directly contradicts false reports circulating on social media, which claimed that a TRO had been issued in favor of Duterte.

Additionally, the Supreme Court acknowledged receipt of a petition for a Writ of Habeas Corpus, filed earlier today by Duterte’s children, Davao City Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte and Veronica “Kitty” Duterte.

The petition seeks to order Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin and other top officials to present Duterte before the Supreme Court and explain why he is being detained.

Upon receiving the petition, Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo promptly ordered the concerned officials to respond to the allegations and justify Duterte’s detention.

In their petition, Mayor Sebastian Duterte and Kitty Duterte named several high-ranking government officials whom they hold responsible for their father’s arrest and possible extradition to The Hague. Among them are: Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla, Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla, Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief General Rommel Francisco Marbil,

Also included are: PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Director General Nicolas Torre III, Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra, Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Norman Tansingco, Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo and Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff General Romeo S. Brawner Jr.

The Supreme Court’s rejection of the TRO allows the government to continue cooperating with the ICC, should it proceed with extradition or any legal processes related to Duterte’s case.

With the habeas corpus petition now under review, the next legal battle will revolve around Duterte’s detention and whether his legal team can successfully argue for his release. As the nation watches closely, the Supreme Court is expected to hear arguments in the coming days.

Meanwhile, Duterte’s supporters remain outraged, calling the case a politically motivated attack, while victims of the drug war see this as a major step toward accountability. The ruling sets the stage for a historic legal showdown that could reshape the Philippines’ relationship with international justice and its commitment to the rule of law.

Filed Under: Top Stories

About Editha Z. Caduaya

Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao.

The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
10:42 pm, Aug 31, 2025
temperature icon 26°C
scattered clouds
Humidity: 83 %
Wind: 2 mph
Clouds: 40%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DPWH Chief Bonoan rejects calls to resign amid flood control project controversies

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DPWH, JICA celebrate breakthrough of Southbound Tunnel in Davao Bypass

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Marcos orders DA to lead 60-Day suspension of rice imports

August 31, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Local groups want October BARMM polls fair and peaceful

August 30, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved