Cop on ‘narco list’ slain in SoCot drug bust

Date:

Share post:

GENERAL SANTOS CITY – A policeman on President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s “narco list” was reportedly killed in a shootout with anti-drug operatives in Polomolok town of South Cotabato on Monday afternoon.

Chief Supt. Eliseo Tam Rasco, regional director of the Police Regional Office (PRO)-12, identified the slain suspect as Police Officer 2 Ernie Mahumot Sagabay, 36, who was temporarily assigned at the Regional Police Holding and Accounting Unit.

Rasco said the suspect was subjected to an entrapment by personnel of PRO-12’s intelligence division and Polomolok municipal police station at around 3:25 p.m. at the vicinity of the national highway in Barangay Magsaysay.

During the transaction, Rasco said Sagabay drew a handgun in an attempt to flee after sensing the presence of police operatives.

“He fired his gun towards the operating elements, prompting them to retaliate,” the police official said.

Rasco said a “short exchange of gunfire” resulted to the fatal wounding of the suspect.

Sagabay was rushed to the Polomolok Municipal Hospital but was declared dead on arrival by attending doctors, he said.

Recovered from the suspect were four sachets of suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride or shabu and a caliber .38 revolver.

Rasco said Sagabay was listed as a “level 2 high-value target” on the President’s drug list.

Sagabay was previously assigned to the Polomolok police station but was transferred to the regional headquarters after being found positive of illegal drugs use during a random test.

He figured in a controversy in September last year after being wounded in a duel with another policeman, PO3 Earl Malayo, of the provincial intelligence branch, at a detachment in Polomolok.

Joint operatives arrested him on July 10 in a house in Poblacion, Polomolok that was subjected to an ant-drug search operation.

Sagabay, who yielded a caliber .45 pistol with an expired license, was then detained at the Polomolok municipal police station and charged with illegal possession of firearm but was later released after posting bail. (PNA)

spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...