Customs seizes P16-M worth of smuggled onions

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY (September 22) — Again! the  Bureau of Customs (BOC) uncovered and seized P16 million worth of smuggled onions from China at the Manila International Container Port (MICP).

Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña said the red onions were hidden in 6 containers and were misdeclared as apples.

The shipment arrived at the port last Aug. 14, Lapeña revealed.

The shipper declared that it contained 2,500 cartons of fresh apples but upon inspection, it turned out 20,000 cartons of red onions, estimated to be worth P16 million.

The shipment was consigned to ASD Total Package Enterprises Inc.  It  contained 2 layers of apple cartons on the front but was filled with bags of onions inside.

The agency made an inspection after they were alerted that ASD Total Package En­terprises Inc. has a previous smuggling record.

He told reporters, “Earlier this month, six containers vans of ASD declared as apples were seized by MICP for misdeclaration of P12 million worth of onions.”

Appropriate charges will be filed against the firm’s owner  and customs broker Michael Miranda Sumile.

Smugglers, according to Lapeña, usually misdeclare their goods to evade paying  the correct taxes.-Editha Z. Caduaya/NewsLine.ph

 

Editha Z. Caduaya
Editha Z. Caduayahttps://newsline.ph
Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao. The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.
RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Extreme heat forces Zamboanga schools to suspend face-to-face classes

ZAMBOANGA CITY (August 17)  — While heavy rains and storms are forcing schools in parts of Luzon to...

DND hits back at Beijing over Misamis raid: ‘Admission of culpability’

MANILA (August 17)  — A dispute over the arrest of 69 Chinese nationals at a steel plant in...

P9.75-billion free college fund raises question: Can ‘free’ education stay financially sustainable?

MANILA (August 17)  — The government's release of P9.75 billion for free higher education offers much-needed relief to...

BARMM polls stay on despite ambush, but violence tests Bangsamoro transition

COTABATO CITY (August 17)  — The ambush of Bangsamoro Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua has not been enough...