DFA-Mindanao Denies Claims of Mindanao Secession, Calls Reports “Baseless”

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY (February 2) — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) in Mindanao has rejected reports suggesting that the island is pursuing separation from the Philippines or that the matter is being discussed at the United Nations.

DFA-Mindanao Assistant Secretary Maria Agnes Cervantes said the agency was “surprised” by widespread reports circulated on social media and national news outlets that implied Mindanao’s secession had been confirmed.

Speaking at a business forum at Hukad, Abreeza Mall, Cervantes said the DFA immediately sought verification through its Intelligence and Security Unit (ISU) and found no basis for the claims.

“So far, there is no actual information, and even the Philippine government would not allow such a move,” Cervantes said. “Why should we separate from the Philippines?”

However, some resolutions adopted during Mindanao-wide consultative meetings in Cagayan de Oro City earlier this year have called for proposals on Mindanao’s political status to be submitted to the UN Committee on Decolonization for deliberation. Organizers described these as part of a “peaceful struggle to free Mindanao from Manila imperialism” and to promote its status as an independent federal state under international law.

Consultations across Western, Central, and Northern Mindanao consistently emphasized that any political change should be pursued peacefully, not through armed struggle.

Calls for secession resurfaced recently after a sitting lawmaker released a viral video echoing sentiments previously raised by former President Rodrigo Duterte. In early 2024, Duterte hinted at Mindanao’s independence amid disputes with President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., a proposal quickly rejected by the administration as unconstitutional and a threat to national sovereignty.

President Marcos has reiterated that secession violates the 1987 Constitution, while national security officials warned the government would use its full authority against attempts to divide the nation.

“Freedom of expression is protected, but actions threatening territorial integrity and national security will not be tolerated,” security officials said.

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Aleson Resumes Domestic Sailings, but Sabah Repatriation Run Still Hangs on Maritime Clearance

Kota Kinabako, Malaysia (August 16) — Maritine authorities has authorized the resumption of passenger operations by Aleson...

Bonoan: Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa ‘Leadership Fund’

DAKBAYAN SA DAVAO (Agosto 15)—Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa miaging Kongreso og dili mo menus sa...

Mindanao Has the Minerals. Will Pax Silica Bring the Value?

DAVAO CITY (August 15) — Mindanao could become one of the Philippines’ most important sources of the minerals...

Quiboloy extradition: Treaty obligations, due process and the death penalty question

MANILA (August 15) — The Philippine government is preparing to surrender Pastor Apollo Quiboloy to the United States...