GenSan extends MGCQ status until year-end

Date:

Share post:

GENERAL SANTOS CITY – The city government has extended until year-end the ban on non-essential travels and other movement restrictions for residents and local travelers as it continues to grapple with the increasing cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) local transmission.

In an executive order (EO) released over the weekend, Mayor Ronnel Rivera sustained the implementation of the prevailing modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) until Dec. 31, the longest quarantine period declared in the area since March.

He said the move was based on the recommendation of the City Inter-Agency Task Force (CIATF) for the Management of Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Diseases and the 26 barangay chairs.

The mayor said the strict implementation of the prohibition on non-essential travels to and from the city will continue during the period.

He said all residents are advised to stay inside their respective homes, except for front-liners and essential workers.

“This is to continue the efforts to break the chain of infection to people and limit or contain the spread of the dreaded virus to the city’s constituents,” Rivera told reporters on Monday.

He said the use of the electronic quarantine pass will remain in effect and “as much as possible,” only one person per household should go out to buy food, medicine, and other items “necessary for survival.”

Under EO No. 52, the other continuing restrictions are the “no movement” every Sunday except for those attending religious activities, curfew from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., and the suspension of face-to-face classes at all levels.

The border restriction against non-essential travel will remain in effect, except for persons securing essential supplies and services; reporting for work and attending religious and business-related transactions and activities; those into food and services-related deliveries; and emergency situations.

Point-to-point public transportation services for major routes from parts of Region 12 are allowed for essential travels, provided they present contact tracing quick response or QR codes.

As an additional restriction, the mayor ordered the ban on “group motorcycling, biking, and trekking” activities to prevent residents from congregating or gathering in groups.

He said the CIATF received reports that instead of staying home or attending religious services on Sundays, some residents gather and conduct such activities.

These were monitored in Barangays San Jose, Sinawal, Mabuhay, Upper Labay, Olympog, and Conel.

“It is alarming because some of them are from other areas outside the city,” Rivera said.

A report released by the City Health Office said the confirmed Covid-19 cases in the city since March already reached a total of 923, with 34 related deaths as of Sunday night, but 659 or 71.3 percent have fully recovered so far.

The 230 active patients, mostly with mild symptoms and asymptomatic, are undergoing observation and treatment in seven local hospitals and three barangay and temporary isolation facilities.

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Macacua takeover of BARMM education ministry exposes widening rift in MILF leadership

COTABATO CITY  (May 22) — The takeover of the Bangsamoro education ministry by Abdulraof Macacua has deepened tensions...

Davao landfill collapse exposes mounting waste crisis as deaths, displacement raise alarms

DAVAO CITY  (May 22) — A deadly collapse at the Davao City sanitary landfill in Barangay New Carmen...

Court-backed takeover of Nordeco areas raises questions on utility competition and public accountability

DAVAO CITY  (May 22) — A court-sanctioned expansion has cleared the way for Davao Light and Power Company...

BARMM trains women peace mediators to curb grassroots conflicts in Basilan

LAMITAN CITY (May 22) — The Bangsamoro government is strengthening community-based peace efforts in Basilan by training women...