GenSan intensifies fight vs illegal gambling

Date:

Share post:

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — Police personnel here have stepped up their campaign against illegal gambling activities in the wake of the continuing suspension of the operations of small-town lottery or STL.

Col. Aden Lagradante, city police director, said Friday he ordered the city’s eight police stations to intensify their monitoring and enforcement in local communities against all forms of illegal gambling, especially the “last two” illegal numbers game.

“Lotto is the only numbers game that is legal. We have to cleanse our communities of all existing illegal gaming schemes,” he said in an interview.

In line with the renewed “war against illegal gambling,” he said at least 15 people had been arrested and formally charged since late last week.

Lagradante said the crackdown covered machines used for the “color game” or “card ball” gambling schemes, as well as those playing cards and “hantak” game of head and tails with bets.

In one instance, he said their operatives found several minors playing “hantak” in Purok Tinago, Barangay Dadiangas South and confiscated gambling bets.

However, he said they were giving special attention to the “last two” numbers game, which is reportedly operated by organized groups.

He said they were investigating a number of “last two” bettors who had been arrested in their operations.

Republic Act 9827 or the Anti-Illegal Numbers Game Law defines “last two” as an illegal numbers game where the winning combination is derived from the last two numbers of the first prize of the winning sweepstakes ticket, which comes out during the weekly draw of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), and its variants.

In this city, authorities said “last two” operators derive their winning number combination from the daily lotto draws of the PCSO. (PNA)

spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...