Martial Law lifting in Mindanao possible- Esperson

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY  — There is a possibility that the implementation of martial law in Mindanao might be lifted, National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. said on Friday.

In a press conference in Malacañang, Esperon said another extension of martial law in the war-torn region would no longer be necessary if Congress is able to pass a measure that amends Republic Act (RA) 9372 or the Human Security Act of 2007.

“We are looking at some developments that could give some guidance to us,” Esperon said, when asked if the Duterte government is considering the possible extension of martial law in Mindanao.

“If the [proposed] Human Security Act, as amended, will be passed [by Congress], then we may not need to ask for any extension of martial law, we may not need this kind of martial law,” he added.

RA 9372, which took effect on March 6, 2007, is aimed at providing law enforcement and judicial authorities with the legal tools to confront terror threats in the country.

The Defense and Local Government departments have so far expressed support for some lawmakers’ proposal to amend RA 9372, in an effort to improve the government’s capacity to fight terrorism and ensure public safety in the entire country.

Esperon likewise believes that amendments to the Human Security Act of 2007 should be done, citing that some provisions of the current law are “not user-friendly”.

“The amended Human Security Act, that is a better tool for us,” he said.

President Rodrigo Duterte first placed Mindanao under military rule on May 23, 2017, the same day Islamic State-linked Maute terror group laid siege to Marawi City in Lanao de Sur province.

Congress extended the initial 60-day martial rule thrice, upon the Commander-in-Chief’s recommendation to help state forces quell insurgency in the southern part of the country.

Martial law in Mindanao will lapse on December 31 this year.

Presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte earlier sought the lifting of martial law in her city.

In a letter sent to the Office of the President in August this year, the lady mayor requested the exemption of Davao City from the declaration of martial rule.

Esperon said the government might consider the proposal of Duterte, as well as of other local officials who might make a similar recommendation.

“Now, we have Task Force Davao. Then probably Davao could protect itself and they have learned so much, they have a very good system there,” he said.

“Other cities might also opt not to have martial law anymore so we’ll take that into consideration,” he added. (PNA)

spot_img

Related articles

Tabang: A Final Cry at Sea- 57 Dead, 316 Survivors and the Shipping Failures That Must Be Answered

DAVAO CITY (February 16) ---At 12:56 a.m., on January 26, as darkness swallowed the sea near the Baluk-baluk...

MILF Leader Backs Marcos’ Push for Priority Bills, Urges Action on Long-Delayed BARMM Polls

COTABATO CITY (February 16) — A senior official of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has welcomed President...

ICC Pressed to Arrest Duterte’s Alleged Drug War Allies as Hearings Near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (February 16) — With a crucial hearing days away, an international rights coalition is...

Children’s book illustrators gather in Lake Sebu for national workshop amplifying unheard voices

LAKE SEBU, South Cotabato (February 16) — In a lakeside town known for its rich Tboli heritage, twelve...