PAL flies 240 stranded passengers from Cebu to Manila

Date:

Share post:

CEBU CITY – At least 240 stranded foreigners were flown to Manila from the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) onboard a sweeper flight of the Philippine Airlines (PAL) on Thursday.

In a statement, the GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC) said PAL took the special flight for the passengers stranded at the airport amid suspension of air travel as part of the efforts to fight the threat of coronavirus disease (Covid-19).

The sweeper flight was organized through the effort of the Department of Tourism (DOT) Central Visayas region director Shalimar Tamano, Philippine Air Force (PAF), the Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) and GMCAC, the statement said.

The MCIA has been assisting the foreign passengers affected by the government-imposed travel restrictions and cancelations of domestic flights, it said.

“GMCAC and MCIAA thank PAL for mounting the special sweeper flights, and DOT-7 for coordinating with the PAF,” it read.

The airport management commended “all our airport employees and stakeholders who have been relentlessly assisting the foreign passengers.”

Edward Sotto Mendez, Lapu-Lapu city tourism officer, said the passengers on board the “sweeper flight” arrived in Manila safely.

“One of these stranded tourists is Cristobal and his family. They were first-time Spanish travelers to Cebu. They want to experience our culture, heritage and white beaches. I took notice of them because his wife has been crying,” Mendez said.

Mendez said many of the stranded tourists have already run out of money due to high rebooking fees as well as cancellation of their flights.

They were “pleading to us that they will be accommodated in one of the PAF rescue flights or at least assist them to get a seat in one of the sweeper flights,” he added.

“In the last few days, our staff in the Tourism Office together with other government agencies like DOT, MCIAA, GMR, Mayor’s Office, Office of the Transport Security and our private stakeholders were on the frontline helping stranded passengers from many provinces in the region,” he said.

In a separate interview, Mendez told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Friday that PAF has been doing “rescue flights” to ferry stranded passengers to Manila.

“So far, PAF was able to do two rescue or recovery flights. The Cebu Pacific is now considering flying a sweeper flight to bring stranded passengers to Manila. But CebuPac will only fly if the passengers have already booked their onward flights out of the Philippines and the needed capacity is reached,” he said. -PNA

spot_img

Related articles

Tabang: A Final Cry at Sea- 57 Dead, 316 Survivors and the Shipping Failures That Must Be Answered

DAVAO CITY (February 16) ---At 12:56 a.m., on January 26, as darkness swallowed the sea near the Baluk-baluk...

MILF Leader Backs Marcos’ Push for Priority Bills, Urges Action on Long-Delayed BARMM Polls

COTABATO CITY (February 16) — A senior official of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has welcomed President...

ICC Pressed to Arrest Duterte’s Alleged Drug War Allies as Hearings Near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (February 16) — With a crucial hearing days away, an international rights coalition is...

Children’s book illustrators gather in Lake Sebu for national workshop amplifying unheard voices

LAKE SEBU, South Cotabato (February 16) — In a lakeside town known for its rich Tboli heritage, twelve...