Ph to bring home 8 detained Filipinos in Myanmar

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY  – The Philippine government through the Department of Foreign Affairs is now working to bring home as soon as possible the eight Filipinos currently detained in Myanmar.

In a statement issued today, DFA spokesperson Ma. Teresita Daza said coordination is continuing to assist the detained Filipinos including tourist Kiela Samson who was arrested at the border of Thailand and Myanmar last month.

“The Philippine Embassy in Yangon maintains active and regular contact with Myanmar’s law enforcement authorities in Nay Pyi Taw and Myawaddy to secure the safety and well-being of the said Filipinos and assist them in returning home the soonest time possible,” the statement reads.

Daza said the Filipinos could exit Myanmar after completing the processes of law enforcement agencies, primarily immigration.

Myanmar authorities, she said, had also vowed to cooperate with Manila in this regard.

Among the eight are alleged human trafficking victims who were rescued by Myanmar authorities from their worksites in Myawaddy.

Last Monday, Daza called on Filipinos who want to work abroad to follow government regulations and be duly registered as overseas Filipino workers instead of leaving the country as tourists.

“Recruiters who promise Filipinos jobs abroad, if they pretend to be tourists and evade our controls, are just leading our kababayans (compatriots) to dangerous situations where it may be very difficult to secure their safety and assist them in returning home,” she said.

Editha Z. Caduaya
Editha Z. Caduayahttps://newsline.ph
Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao. The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.
spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...