Quake victims receive housing units from NHA-XI

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY – This Christmas season is a lot merrier for the 117 families whose houses were damaged during the magnitude 6.1 earthquake in 2019.

The National Housing Authority – Region XI (NHA-XI) awarded the earthquake victims in Barangay Tacul, Magsaysay, Davao del Sur with the Certificates of Ownership and the keys of their respective houses which they considered as Christmas gifts for them.

Led by NHA-XI Regional Manager Engr. Zenaida Cabiles and Mayor Arthur Davin, the turnover ceremony was held on Monday (Dec. 14). Marites, one of the beneficiaries, cried during the ceremony as she said she did not expect the good quality of the houses given to them for free.

Sixty-five houses, one of which belonged to the family of Marites, were destroyed by the earthquake in Barangay Tacul on October 30 last year. The NHA-11 turned over 65 houses in Barangay Tacul and another 106 houses in Barangay Tagaytay San Miguel, particularly in Purok 6, 7, and 8.

“A total of 2,002 permanent housing units amounting to PHP573 million was allotted to Magsaysay town,” Cabiles said. She also added, “the housing units are only intended for earthquake-affected families from 11 sites”.

“Of the 11 sites we awarded, 423 units are ready (for occupancy), and another 171 units are ready for another three sites,” she said.

According to Davin, 2,002 families were prioritized since their homes are situated in a “no-build zone,” based on the assessment of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB).

Davin said these families are living in the upland area where their houses are prone to landslides during earthquakes.

“They also stayed one year in the evacuation centers,” Davin said. These housing units were awarded by the government through the NHA to those affected by the earthquake from July to December last year. Each housing unit is worth P289,000. – Cheche G. Diabordo/NewsLine

spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...