Suspect in businesswoman’s rape-slay surrenders

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY —Claiming he was bothered by his conscience a self-confessed suspect in the rape-slay of Christine Sunga Corpuz on March 1, 2021, surrendered before the authorities on July 19, but the police only announced on Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Davao City Police Director Col. Kirby John Kraft in an interview with reporters said the suspect is a parking attendant and was high on drugs and under the influence of liquor during the commission of the crime.

Corpuz was killed in a secluded area in Buhangin District here at around 4:00 in the afternoon of March 1, her body was found topless in a secluded area just 114 steps away from their house.

Kraft said, “The suspect admitted the crime and he is also the same person who was seen on the CCTV after the crime, he escaped for weeks but came back to the city but he said he has been sleepless and bothered by his conscience.”

Sunga was a cosmetic manager.

On March 22, the DSCPO filed a case against the suspect who was still in hiding.

A Newsline source said, the suspect went to a church to see a priest for confession but the priest was out, he was attended by a nun. After his confession, the nun has advised the suspect to surrender to authorities.

A source said the police advised the family to get a lawyer of their own choice to extract the judicial confession of the suspect in order to avoid the suspicion that the suspect was forced to admit the crime.

Corpuz was reported missing in the afternoon of February 28 after she left their residence and asked permission from her husband to go to the tailoring shop at San Pedro Village, Buhangin but failed to return home until she was found lifeless at the grassy area at the back of McDonald’s beside Ladislawa Village in Buhangin District the following day.

DCPO Chief Colonel Kirby John Kraft previously confirmed that Corpuz had been raped and eventually killed by the suspect.

The autopsy also showed that the cause of her death was Blunt Traumatic Head Injuries Asphyxia by Suffocation. The same medical findings reveal that there was clear evidence of blunt trauma to the genital area confirming that she was really raped

Arnel Corpuz. the spokesperson of the family said, “We are convinced that he is the suspect and we will just wait for the court hearings to proceed.”

Kraft said they considered the case closed.-Editha Z. Caduaya

Editha Z. Caduaya
Editha Z. Caduayahttps://newsline.ph
Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao. The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.
spot_img

Related articles

Tabang: A Final Cry at Sea- 57 Dead, 316 Survivors and the Shipping Failures That Must Be Answered

DAVAO CITY (February 16) ---At 12:56 a.m., on January 26, as darkness swallowed the sea near the Baluk-baluk...

MILF Leader Backs Marcos’ Push for Priority Bills, Urges Action on Long-Delayed BARMM Polls

COTABATO CITY (February 16) — A senior official of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has welcomed President...

ICC Pressed to Arrest Duterte’s Alleged Drug War Allies as Hearings Near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (February 16) — With a crucial hearing days away, an international rights coalition is...

Children’s book illustrators gather in Lake Sebu for national workshop amplifying unheard voices

LAKE SEBU, South Cotabato (February 16) — In a lakeside town known for its rich Tboli heritage, twelve...