VM Baste first to arrive for city’s ‘shake up’ drillPosted on
DAVAO CITY (July 27)— No one expected it, Vice Mayor Sebastian ‘Baste’ Duterte was the first official to arrive at the designated command center for the city-wide disaster drill on Friday, July 26.
The drill was simultaneous as it marked the start of the National Disaster Resilience month.
The Vice Mayor arrived with his staff for the scheduled drill minutes ahead of the official kick off time, but no other government official was in sight, he sat at the ground and just chilled.
Students, teachers, and employees of both private and government agencies, and even those in public places and malls took the three important steps — duck, cover, hold — when the Davao City Risk Reduction and Management Office (DCRRMO) released the warning siren at about 9 a.m.
Lyndon Ancajas, DCRRMO administrative officer, said the siren rang in the areas of R. Castillo Agdao, City Hall Annex, Matina Aplaya, Toril Fish Port, establishments, and the barangays signaling an earthquake.
“More than the observance of the Disaster Resilience Month, we should also consider doing this regularly to prepare for any eventuality,” Ancajas said.
He said the regular emergency drills seek to train the public and prepare them in cases of emergency.
“Resiliency is (an) important factor for survival when natural disasters, like earthquake and tsunami, hit an area,” he further said. Last year’s earthquake drill was also successful with the participation of about half a million Dabawenyos.
What makes this year’s earthquake and tsunami drill different, Ancajas said, was the inclusion of the “field hospital” set-up that incorporated the medical facilities in the overall emergency preparations. –Ched Saladero with PNA report