DLPC assures no shortage of power supply in ‘summer months’

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY – The Davao Light and Power Co., Inc. (DLPC) gave its assurance on Monday that there will be enough power supply within its franchise areas during the summer months.

“Davao will not experience any shortage in the coming months, especially during the summer months. Meaning, we’re safe (from power outages),” Rodger Velasco, the DLPC president and chief operating officer, told reporters here.

Included in the franchise coverage of DLPC are Davao City, areas in Panabo City, and the municipalities of Carmen, Dujali, and Santo Tomas in Davao del Norte.

Velasco said DLPC “has enough supply contracts to serve its customers in the summer months due to their bilateral contracts with the base load.”

“The Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) in Mindanao is made available when we fall short of supply from our sources,” Velasco said.

Velasco disclosed that for the power supply in Mindanao, about 3,000 megawatts (MW) are now available with a total consumption of only 2,000 MW.

“It’s giving us at least 1,000 excess capacity, so the whole of Mindanao is also safe in supply,” Velasco said.

Velasco clarified, however, that emergency interruptions may still happen that are often caused by foreign objects perching their lines or damaged posts beyond the control of the DLPC.

Velasco said earlier that DLPC brought down electricity rates by 38 centavos per kilowatt-hour in March due to the abundance of power supply in Mindanao.

spot_img

Related articles

Teachers push back as DepEd proposes shift to trimester system

DAVAO CITY (February 19)  — “Teachers and students are not lab rats.” That’s the warning from the Alliance...

Talaingod’s children pay the price as DepEd officials face suspension over unbuilt schools

TALAINGOD, DAVAO DEL NORTE (February 19)  — In this remote municipality, classrooms that should shelter eager students stand...

BARMM prepares for Ramadan, blending faith, governance, and commerce

COTABATO CITY (February 19)  — Authorities in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) have put systems...

After 30 days, search ends — but questions remain in Davao Gulf tragedy

DAVAO CITY (February 19)  — The Philippine Coast Guard has formally ended its month-long search and retrieval operations...