DFA hopeful for ‘positive development’ in talks to free Houthi-held Filipino seafarers

Date:

Share post:

MANILA (November 19) — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is seeing “something positive” in ongoing efforts to secure the release of Filipino seafarers held by Houthi rebels in Yemen, Foreign Affairs Secretary Ma. Theresa Lazaro said Tuesday.

Lazaro said several Middle Eastern partner countries are helping push the appeal for the Filipinos’ release, although she declined to disclose details of the negotiations. “I was informed that something positive will come out in the coming days,” she told reporters during a joint briefing with visiting Palestinian Foreign Minister Varsen Aghabekian Shahin.

Nine Filipinos remain captive after their ship, the MV Eternity C, sank in July following a Houthi drone attack in the Red Sea. The vessel carried 22 crew members, 21 of them Filipino.

Shahin said Palestine is ready to extend any assistance it can: “If there’s anything we can do, we will do it.”

Earlier this year, 17 Filipino crew members of the MV Galaxy Leader were freed after 14 months in captivity through Omani mediation following a ceasefire deal between Hamas and Israel — a precedent that raises hopes for another successful extraction.

spot_img

Related articles

Ramadan Hugs Heal Old MILF-BARMM Rift

COTABATO CITY (February 20)  — A Ramadan embrace went viral Wednesday night, as BARMM Interim Chief Abduraof “Sammy”...

Two Small Lives Lost in Nabunturan — And the System That Looked Away

NABUNTURAN, Davao de Oro (February 20)  — In Purok 5, Barangay Magsaysay, grief is no longer private. It...

Shear Line Soaks Caraga, Forces Evacuations and Class Suspensions

BUTUAN CITY (February 20)  — Torrential rains triggered by a shear line forced evacuations, class suspensions, and road...

After 52 Years in the Fields, a Farmer Finally Holds His Land — But Why Did It Take Half a Century?

ZAMBOANGA CITY (February 20)  — For 52 years, Levi Chavez cultivated land that fed his family but did...