BI Intercepts Filipino tourist bound for scam hub abroad

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY —The Bureau of Immigration (BI) intercepted a 35-year-old Filipino male at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) who was allegedly duped into working for a scam hub in Cambodia.

BI Immigration Protection and Border Enforcement Section (I-PROBES) Chief Mary Jane Hizon said the individual initially presented himself as a tourist bound for Hanoi, Vietnam, on a Cebu Pacific flight at NAIA Terminal 3.

“The traveler claimed that his trip was ‘on-the-spot’ or spontaneous. However, his inconsistent responses during primary questioning raised suspicions, prompting his referral for secondary inspection,” Hizon explained.

During the secondary interview, the passenger admitted that his true destination was Cambodia. He revealed that he had been recruited via Facebook and was promised a job at a business process outsourcing (BPO) company. The recruiter allegedly sent him travel documents via the Telegram app and instructed him to transit through Vietnam before continuing to Cambodia.

Hizon noted that this is a typical modus operandi used by illegal syndicates.

“These so-called BPOs are often fronts for scam hubs, where individuals are forced to deceive victims online for financial gain,” Hizon said.

BI Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado urged the public to remain vigilant against illegal recruiters and online syndicates.

“Scam syndicates have been preying on unsuspecting Filipinos, enticing them with lucrative job offers abroad. We encourage everyone to verify the legitimacy of recruiters and job offers through the Department of Migrant Workers,” Viado said. “Walang maloloko kung walang magpapaloko,” he added.

Editha Z. Caduaya
Editha Z. Caduayahttps://newsline.ph
Edith Z Caduaya studied Bachelor of Science in Development Communication at the University of Southern Mindanao. The chairperson of Mindanao Independent Press Council (MIPC) Inc.
RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

MinDA, Apl.de.ap Explore Sustainable Agriculture Partnership in Mindanao

DAVAO CITY (May 24) — The Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) has opened partnership discussions with global artist and...

SC clears way for Bato arrest over ICC warrant — DOJ

MANILA (May 23) — The arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court against Ronald dela Rosa can...

Sara impeachment trial puts accountability test before Senate

MANILA (May 23)— The Senate’s planned impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte is shaping up not only...

PNP launches manhunt for Bato after SC clears ICC arrest

MANILA (May 23) — The net is tightening around Sen. Bato dela Rosa. The Philippine National Police on Friday...