• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Home
  • Regional
    • Davao Region
    • Northern Mindanao
    • Soccsksargen
    • Caraga Region
    • Zamboanga Peninsula
  • Categories
    • Top Stories
    • Environment
    • Police Files
    • Business
    • Davao Region
    • BARMM
    • Newslights
    • Agriculture and Food
    • Bisaya Kini
    • Where’s Our Money
    • War On Drugs
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
NewsLine Philippines

NewsLine Philippines

Building Information Highway for the Community

  • Top Stories
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Bisaya Kini
  • OFW News
  • August 31, 2025

Chocolate Hills resort issued building permit even without ECC

March 15, 2024 by Philippine News Agency

Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Secretary Antonia Yulo-Loyzaga on Friday said the owner of the resort built within the vicinity of Chocolate Hills in Bohol was never issued an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) by the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB).

However, the owner of Captain’s Peak Garden and Resort still obtained a building permit and subsequently, a permit to operate, from the Sagbayan municipality.

“We discovered that the building permit started to be issued in 2020, and definitely walang (there’s no) ECC at that point, and subsequently in 2022. So, tuloy tuloy ang construction nila (the construction was continuous) because they actually had a building permit from the local government habang wala pang ECC (even in the absence of an ECC),” Loyzaga said during a virtual presser on Friday.

“Secondly, they were also granted a business permit, and so what we need to do is to work very closely with the local government units kasi kung sino ang binibigyan ng business permit, then kailangan naman sana na i-confirm na may tamang permiso (because they should at least confirm first that they have proper permits before granting them a business permit), being in a protected area,” she added.

DENR Undersecretary for Field Operations and Environment Juan Miguel Cuna explained that the resort owner obtained a resolution from the Protected Area Management Board (PAMB) endorsing the project in 2020.

However, he said that one of the specific conditions given by PAMB to the resort owner was to obtain an ECC before any activity, which included the construction.

In 2022, the resort owner again sought the endorsement of the PAMB, through a resolution, because they had transferred the site of their proposed project.

Again, they were able to obtain a PAMB resolution endorsing the project, with the condition that they obtain an ECC before conducting any activity.

“So clearly they were well aware of the requirement to get an ECC,” Cuna said.

In September 2023, the Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (PENRO) found out the construction without an ECC and issued a notice of violation, including a request to stop operation.

Cuna said the owner then applied for an ECC, but was unable to submit the complete document.

“They continued to operate and in fact, they actually wrote the PENRO requesting for the lifting of the order, since they had already applied for an ECC, which the PENRO denied, since the ECC itself had not been issued yet,” Cuna said.

In January this year, the EMB Region 7 issued a notice of violation for the lack of ECC.

On Thursday, a joint cease and desist order was issued to ensure that the resort, which went viral through a social media post by a vlogger, no longer operating.

“We are monitoring the Captain’s Peak to ensure that they remain closed and not open for operations,” Cuna said.

Various violations

Meanwhile, Cuna said the owner of Captain’s Peak Garden and Resort may face multiple penalties for various violations.

He said that there is a penalty for constructing without an ECC; failure to register as a hazardous waste generator if they discharge water without a discharge permit; failure to obtain a permit from the National Water Resources Board while putting up a well in the area, among others.

“And then under the [Expanded National Integrated Protected Areas System] Law, ‘yun ang mabigat (this is heavier). For criminal liability, may mga penalty po siya (there are penalties) and it’s not small, minimum of PHP1 million to PHP5 million maximum for a criminal liability,” he said.

There is also an additional minimum of six years to a maximum of 12 years imprisonment for putting up structures without the appropriate permits within the protected area, Cuna said.

He noted that these are still aside from the administrative fines, which start at a minimum of PHP15,000 and a maximum of PHP5 million.

Loyzaga said that right now, it is unclear whether or not the resort will be able to open again as they are still investigating and studying the matter.

She said the DENR has begun using aerial surveillance, particularly the use of space imagery.

“These areas are quite large in terms of the areas that are affected, and if you notice, they’re quite remote, some kilometers away from the main road and they are practically hidden in between the Chocolate Hills. It is very likely that there are some others that do not have the proper permits,” Loyzaga said.

Chocolate Hills is a world heritage site of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and was declared a protected area through Proclamation No. 1037 issued by the late President Fidel V. Ramos on July 1, 1997. 

Filed Under: Environment, Top Stories Tagged With: Chocolate Hills

Primary Sidebar

loader-image
Davao City
Davao City, PH
1:16 pm, Aug 31, 2025
temperature icon 27°C
overcast clouds
Humidity: 80 %
Wind: 10 mph
Clouds: 96%
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm
Detailed weather
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
  • Human trafficking
  • Bisaya Kini
  • Business
  • Health
  • Environment
  • War On Drugs
  • Newslights
  • OFW News
  • Top Stories
  • Where’s Our Money

Youtube Videos

  • NIA-SKIMO nagsugod na sa "Tree Replacement Program", 187 ektaryang yuta gitanumag Kawayan ug Narra
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 5:00 am
  • Libreng medical sa gobyerno, napahimuslan sa daghang residente sa usa ka Brgy. sa Magsaysay, DavSur
    by NEWSLINE PHILIPPINES at 4:00 am

Top Stories

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DOLE extends internship opportunities to junior HS students

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

Maguindanao del Sur drug den owner dead, three cohorts nabbed

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

DA, LGU Kiblawan launch ‘Gulayan sa Bayan’ project in Davao del Sur

August 29, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

4.5K solo parents get 2nd quarter subsidy in Davao City

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Top Stories Post

Opinion

Content with Purpose: Lessons from Krakow

May 7, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Duterte’s Arrest: A Victory for EJK victims or an injustice to his legacy?

March 12, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Senators failed to get what they wanted from Duterte

October 30, 2024 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Opinion Post

Environment

DA to include jeepney, tricycle drivers in ₱20 Rice Program starting Sept. 16

August 30, 2025 By Philippine News Agency

DENR-12 seizes illegal lumber in Sarangani Boat-Making crackdown

August 28, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

More Environment Post

Governance

More Governance Post

Footer

Contact Us

Newsline Philippines
Mobile: +63917 150 8377
Email Address: newslineph.corres@gmail.com or newsline.ph@gmail.com

Bisaya Kini

45 anyos ng lalaki sikop sa buy bust operation

July 5, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Negosyanteng babaye gipusil-patay sa Davao

June 29, 2025 By Paul Palacio

Car wash boy gipusil-patay sa North Cotabato

June 27, 2025 By Giovani del Mundo

Kanhi Misamis Occidental congressman nakonbikto  tungod sa PDAF scam

June 14, 2025 By Paul Palacio

16 ka fighter jet gigama sa US aron ihanyag sa Pilipinas

June 7, 2025 By Paul Palacio

More Bisaya Kini Post

Agriculture and Food

President Marcos vows support for Fisheries Sector in GenSan visit

July 4, 2025 By NewsLine Philippines

China Coast Guard blasts Filipino boats with water cannons at Panatag Shoal

June 24, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

Boosting Rice Production in the Philippines: Techno Farms, Policies, and Price Challenges

June 20, 2025 By Editha Z. Caduaya

More Post

DISCLAIMER

Newsline Philippine website welcomes healthy discussion, exchange of opinions friendly debate, but comments posted by our readers does not reflect the views and opinion of Newsline Philippines.

Newsline Philippines reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate and does not follow community standard will automatically be deleted.

Newsline Philippines IPO Reg. No. 4/2017/005044896
Newsline Philippines · Copyright © 2025 · All Rights Reserved