Davao has enough supply of pork for the holiday season-DA XI

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY— Pork consumers need not worry about the supply of pork during the holiday season as it got enough supply, this was the assurance of the Department of Agriculture in Davao Region (DA-11).

The assurance came in the wake of African Swine Fever cases in some areas in southern Mindanao including Davao city and some provinces.

In a press conference on Tuesday Dr. Karl Laurence Pineda, the focal person of DA-11 for the Integrated National Swine Production Initiatives for Recovery and Expansion (INSPIRE) program, said they are confident that the supply of pork come December won’t run short despite the ASF challenge,

“There is no shortage even when we have ASF cases. At this point, the big hog farms in Davao Region have reserved their supply for the holiday season,” the government’s Philippine News Agency quoted Pineda’s assurance.

In fact, he revealed that in the year 2021, the region had enough supply of pork during the holidays.

Pork supply is being singled out as most families always had the traditional lechon on top of their tables during Christmas and the New year’s celebration.

“I can still remember that in the third quarter of last year, we went to big farms to buy hogs for our sentineling program. They refuse to sell it because they have been preparing the supply for the holiday season,” Pineda said.

Earlier this year, the swine industry in the different parts of the region especially those into backyard piggery was affected with ASF there was massive depopulation of hogs to avert further contamination.

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Extreme heat forces Zamboanga schools to suspend face-to-face classes

ZAMBOANGA CITY (August 17)  — While heavy rains and storms are forcing schools in parts of Luzon to...

DND hits back at Beijing over Misamis raid: ‘Admission of culpability’

MANILA (August 17)  — A dispute over the arrest of 69 Chinese nationals at a steel plant in...

P9.75-billion free college fund raises question: Can ‘free’ education stay financially sustainable?

MANILA (August 17)  — The government's release of P9.75 billion for free higher education offers much-needed relief to...

BARMM polls stay on despite ambush, but violence tests Bangsamoro transition

COTABATO CITY (August 17)  — The ambush of Bangsamoro Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua has not been enough...